Statistical Inference on Changes in Income Inequality in Australia
AbstractThis paper studies the changes in income inequality of individuals in Australia between 1986 and 1999. Individuals are divided into various subgroups along several dimensions, such as region of residence, age, employment status etc. The changes in inequality over time, between and within the various subgroups is studied, and the bootstrap method is used to establish whether these changes are statistically significant.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics in its series Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers with number 9/02.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: PO Box 11E, Monash University, Victoria 3800, Australia
Web page: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/depts/ebs/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- George Athanasopoulos & Farshid Vahid, 2003. "Statistical Inference and Changes in Income Inequality in Australia," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 79(247), pages 412-424, December.
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- J10 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - General
- C19 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Other
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Borland, J., 1998.
"Earnings Inequality in Australia: Changes, Causes and Consequences,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
390, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Borland, Jeff, 1999. "Earnings Inequality in Australia: Changes, Causes and Consequences," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 75(229), pages 177-202, June.
- Jeffrey A. Mills & Sourushe Zandvakili, 1999.
"Statistical Inference via Bootstrapping for Measures of Inequality,"
- Mills, Jeffrey A & Zandvakili, Sourushe, 1997. "Statistical Inference via Bootstrapping for Measures of Inequality," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(2), pages 133-50, March-Apr.
- Biewen, Martin, 2002. "Bootstrap inference for inequality, mobility and poverty measurement," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 108(2), pages 317-342, June.
- Coulter, Fiona A E & Cowell, Frank A & Jenkins, Stephen P, 1992. "Equivalence Scale Relativities and the Extent of Inequality and Poverty," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(414), pages 1067-82, September.
- Peter Gottschalk, 1997. "Inequality, Income Growth, and Mobility: The Basic Facts," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(2), pages 21-40, Spring.
- Schröder, Carsten & Bönke, Timm, 2012.
"Country inequality rankings and conversion schemes,"
Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal,
Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 6(28), pages 1-43.
- Schröder, Carsten & Bönke, Timm, 2012. "Country inequality rankings and conversion schemes," Economics Discussion Papers 2012-7, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Timm Bönke & Carsten Schröder, 2010. "Country Inequality Rankings and Conversion Schemes," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1068, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Rubiana Chamarbagwala, 2010. "Economic liberalization and urban–rural inequality in India: a quantile regression analysis," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 39(2), pages 371-394, October.
- Jill Wright & Ma. Rebecca Valenzuela & Duangkamon Chotikapanich, 2011. "Measuring Poverty and Inequality from Highly Aggregated Small Area Data: The Changing Fortunes of Latrobe Valley Households," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 4/12, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Timm Bönke & Carsten Schröder, 2010.
"Poverty in Germany: Statistical Inference and Decomposition,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
1060, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Timm Bönke & Carsten Schröder, 2011. "Poverty in Germany – Statistical Inference and Decomposition," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 231(2), pages 178-209, April.
- Paul Gregg & Rosanna Scutella & Claudia Vittori, 2012. "Earnings Mobility and Inequality: An Integrated Framework," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2012n26, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Stéphane Mussard & Pi Alperin María Noel, 2006. "Measuring Significance of Inequalities with Heterogeneous Groups and Income Sources," Cahiers de recherche 06-13, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- D'Amico, Guglielmo & Di Biase, Giuseppe & Manca, Raimondo, 2012. "Income inequality dynamic measurement of Markov models: Application to some European countries," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1598-1602.
- Timm Bönke & Carsten Schröder & Katharina Schulte, 2010.
"Incomes and Inequality in the Long Run: The Case of German Elderly,"
German Economic Review,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 11, pages 487-510, November.
- Bönke, Timm & Schröder, Carsten & Schulte, Katharina, 2008. "Incomes and inequality in the long run: the case of German elderly," Economics Working Papers 2008,06, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Bönke, Timm & Schröder, Carsten & Schulte, Katharina, 2008. "Incomes and inequality in the long run: the case of German elderly," Discussion Papers 2008/4, Free University Berlin, School of Business & Economics.
- Roger Wilkins, 2013. "Evaluating the Evidence on Income Inequality in Australia in the 2000s," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2013n26, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Francisco Azpitarte & Olga Alonso-Villar, 2012. "A Dominance Criterion for Measuring Income Inequality from a Centrist View: The Case of Australia," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2012n03, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Carsten Schröder, 2011. "Cowell, F.: Measuring Inequality. London School of Economics Perspectives in Economic Analysis," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 104(3), pages 281-285, November.
- Hooi Hooi Lean & Ma. Rebecca Valenzuela, 2012. "Inequality in Australia 1983-2004: A Stochastic Dominance Approach," Monash Economics Working Papers 06-12, Monash University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simone Grose).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.