Comparison of Non-Stationary Time Series in the Frequency Domain
AbstractIn this paper we compare two non-stationary time series using non-parametric procedures. Evolutionary spectra are estimated for the two series. Randomization tests are performed on groups of spectral estimates for both related and independent time series. Simul ation studies show that in certain cases the tests perform reasonably well. The tests are applied to observed geological and financial time series.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics in its series Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers with number 1/01.
Length: 18 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: PO Box 11E, Monash University, Victoria 3800, Australia
Web page: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/depts/ebs/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Maharaj, Elizabeth Ann, 2002. "Comparison of non-stationary time series in the frequency domain," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 131-141, July.
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- C30 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-04-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2002-04-25 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2002-04-25 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Timmer, J. & Lauk, M. & Vach, W. & Lucking, C. H., 1999. "A test for a difference between spectral peak frequencies," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 45-55, March.
- Pierpaolo D’Urso & Livia Giovanni & Riccardo Massari & Dario Lallo, 2013. "Noise fuzzy clustering of time series by autoregressive metric," METRON, Springer, vol. 71(3), pages 217-243, November.
- Jentsch, Carsten & Pauly, Markus, 2012. "A note on using periodogram-based distances for comparing spectral densities," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 158-164.
- Dette, Holger & Paroditis, Efstathios, 2007. "Testing equality of spectral densities," Technical Reports 2007,29, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Dette, Holger & Paparoditis, Efstathios, 2008. "Bootstrapping frequency domain tests in multivariate time series with an application to comparing spectral densities," Technical Reports 2008,28, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Caiado, Jorge & Crato, Nuno & Peña, Daniel, 2007. "Comparison of time series with unequal length," MPRA Paper 6605, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Caiado, Jorge & Crato, Nuno & Pena, Daniel, 2006. "A periodogram-based metric for time series classification," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(10), pages 2668-2684, June.
- Sonia Díaz & José Vilar, 2010. "Comparing Several Parametric and Nonparametric Approaches to Time Series Clustering: A Simulation Study," Journal of Classification, Springer, vol. 27(3), pages 333-362, November.
- Preuß, Philip & Hildebrandt, Thimo, 2013. "Comparing spectral densities of stationary time series with unequal sample sizes," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 83(4), pages 1174-1183.
- Caiado, Jorge & Crato, Nuno & Peña, Daniel, 2009. "Comparison of time series with unequal length in the frequency domain," MPRA Paper 15310, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Caiado, Jorge & Crato, Nuno, 2005. "Discrimination between deterministic trend and stochastic trend processes," MPRA Paper 2076, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Caiado, Jorge & Crato, Nuno & Peña, Daniel, 2006. "An interpolated periodogram-based metric for comparison of time series with unequal lengths," MPRA Paper 2075, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simone Grose).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.