Comparison of time series with unequal length in the frequency domain
AbstractIn statistical data analysis it is often important to compare, classify, and cluster different time series. For these purposes various methods have been proposed in the literature, but they usually assume time series with the same sample size. In this paper, we propose a spectral domain method for handling time series of unequal length. The method make the spectral estimates comparable by producing statistics at the same frequency. The procedure is compared with other methods proposed in the literature by a Monte Carlo simulation study. As an illustrative example, the proposed spectral method is applied to cluster industrial production series of some developed countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 15310.
Date of creation: Apr 2009
Date of revision:
Autocorrelation function; Cluster analysis; Interpolated periodogram; Reduced periodogram; Spectral analysis; Time series; Zero-padding.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- C0 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-05-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2009-05-30 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2009-05-30 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-FOR-2009-05-30 (Forecasting)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Máximo Camacho & Gabriel Pérez-Quirós & Lorena Saiz, 2004.
"Are european business cycles close enough to be just one?,"
Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers
0408, Banco de Espa�a.
- Camacho, Maximo & Perez-Quiros, Gabriel & Saiz, Lorena, 2006. "Are European business cycles close enough to be just one?," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 30(9-10), pages 1687-1706.
- Camacho, Maximo & Pérez-Quirós, Gabriel & Sáiz Matute, Lorena, 2005. "Are European Business Cycles Close Enough to be Just One?," CEPR Discussion Papers 4824, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Maximo Camacho & Gabriel Perez-Quiros, 2004. "Are European business cycles close enough to be just one?," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 16, Society for Computational Economics.
- Maharaj, E.A., 2001.
"Comparison of Non-Stationary Time Series in the Frequency Domain,"
Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers
1/01, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Maharaj, Elizabeth Ann, 2002. "Comparison of non-stationary time series in the frequency domain," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 131-141, July.
- Caiado, Jorge & Crato, Nuno & Pena, Daniel, 2006. "A periodogram-based metric for time series classification," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(10), pages 2668-2684, June.
- Jin, Lei, 2011. "A data-driven test to compare two or multiple time series," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(6), pages 2183-2196, June.
- Jentsch, Carsten & Pauly, Markus, 2012. "A note on using periodogram-based distances for comparing spectral densities," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 158-164.
- Jorge Caiado & Nuno Crato, 2010.
"Identifying common dynamic features in stock returns,"
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 10(7), pages 797-807.
- Caiado, Jorge & Crato, Nuno, 2009. "Identifying common dynamic features in stock returns," MPRA Paper 15241, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jorge Caiado & Nuno Crato, 2009. "Identifying common dynamic features in stock returns," CEMAPRE Working Papers 0902, Centre for Applied Mathematics and Economics (CEMAPRE), School of Economics and Management (ISEG), Technical University of Lisbon.
- Maharaj, Elizabeth Ann & D’Urso, Pierpaolo, 2010. "A coherence-based approach for the pattern recognition of time series," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 389(17), pages 3516-3537.
- Otranto, Edoardo, 2010. "Identifying financial time series with similar dynamic conditional correlation," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 1-15, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.