Problems in the Numerical Simulation of Models with Heterogeneous Agents and Economic Distortions
AbstractOur work has been concerned with the numerical simulation of dynamic economies with heterogeneous agents and economic distortions. Recent research has drawn attention to inherent difficulties in the computation of competitive equilibria for these economies: A continuous Markovian solution may fail to exist, and some commonly used numerical algorithms may not deliver accurate approximations. We consider a reliable algorithm set forth in Feng et al. (2009), and discuss problems related to the existence and computation of Markovian equilibria, as well as convergence and accuracy properties. We offer new insights into numerical simulation.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Miami, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2010-14.
Length: 11 pages
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published
Contact details of provider:
Postal: P.O. Box 248126, Coral Gables, FL 33124-6550
Phone: (305) 284-5540
Fax: (305) 284-2985
Web page: http://www.bus.miami.edu/faculty-and-research/academic-departments/economics/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Heterogeneous agents; taxes; externalities; financial frictions; competitive equilibrium; computation; simulation.;
Other versions of this item:
- Adrian Peralta-Alva & Manuel S. Santos, 2010. "Problems in the Numerical Simulation of Models with Heterogeneous Agents and Economic Distortions," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 8(2-3), pages 617-625, 04-05.
- Adrian Peralta-Alva & Manuel S. Santos, 2009. "Problems in the numerical simulation of models with heterogeneous agents and economic distortions," Working Papers 2009-036, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- C6 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling
- D5 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium
- E2 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kubler, Felix & Schmedders, Karl, 2002. "Recursive Equilibria In Economies With Incomplete Markets," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(02), pages 284-306, April.
- Manuel S. Santos & Adrian Peralta-Alva, 2003.
"Accuracy Of Simulations For Stochastic Dynamic Models,"
Economics Working Papers
we034615, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Manuel S. Santos & Adrian Peralta-Alva, 2005. "Accuracy of Simulations for Stochastic Dynamic Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(6), pages 1939-1976, November.
- Manuel S. Santos & Adrian Peralta-Alva, 2003. "Accuracy of Simulations for Stochastic Dynamic Models," Levine's Bibliography 666156000000000264, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Zhigang Feng & Jianjun Miao & Adrian Peralta-Alva & Manual Santos, 2009.
"Numerical Simulation of Nonoptimal Dynamic Equilibrium Models,"
0912, University of Miami, Department of Economics.
- Zhigang Feng & Jianjun Miao & Adrian Peralta‐Alva & Manuel S. Santos, 2014. "Numerical Simulation Of Nonoptimal Dynamic Equilibrium Models," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 55, pages 83-110, 02.
- Zhigang Feng & Jianjun Miao & Adrian Peralta-Alva & Manuel S. Santos, . "Numerical Simulation of Nonoptimal Dynamic Equilibrium Models," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series wp2009-013, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Zhigang Feng & Jianjun Miao & Adrian Peralta-Alva & Manuel S. Santos, 2009. "Numerical simulation of nonoptimal dynamic equilibrium models," Working Papers 2009-018, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Zhigang Feng & Manuel Santos & Adrian Peralta-Alva & Jianjun Miao, 2009. "Numerical Simulation of Nonoptimal Dynamic Equilibrium Models," 2009 Meeting Papers 541, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Kydland, Finn E. & Prescott, Edward C., 1980. "Dynamic optimal taxation, rational expectations and optimal control," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 79-91, May.
- Felix Kubler & Herakles Polemarchakis, 2004. "Stationary Markov equilibria for overlapping generations," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 623-643, October.
- Benhabib, Jess & Day, Richard H., 1982. "A characterization of erratic dynamics in, the overlapping generations model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 37-55, November.
- Per Krusell & Anthony A. Smith & Jr., 1998.
"Income and Wealth Heterogeneity in the Macroeconomy,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(5), pages 867-896, October.
- Per Krusell & Anthony A. Smith, Jr., . "Income and Wealth Heterogeneity in the Macroeconomy," GSIA Working Papers 1997-37, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Krusell, P & Smith Jr, A-A, 1995. "Income and Wealth Heterogeneity in the Macroeconomic," RCER Working Papers 399, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Duffie, Darrell, et al, 1994. "Stationary Markov Equilibria," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(4), pages 745-81, July.
- Blume, Lawrence E., 1982. "New techniques for the study of stochastic equilibrium processes," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1-2), pages 61-70, January.
- Balbus, Łukasz & Reffett, Kevin & Woźny, Łukasz, 2013. "A constructive geometrical approach to the uniqueness of Markov stationary equilibrium in stochastic games of intergenerational altruism," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1019-1039.
- Pengfei Wang & Yi Wen, 2013. "Financial development and long-run volatility trends," Working Papers 2013-003, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- José Cao-Alvira, 2012. "Velocity Volatility Assessment of Monetary Shocks on Cash-in-Advance Economies," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 40(3), pages 293-311, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher Parmeter).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.