Strategic Investment and the Gains from Trade
AbstractThis paper examines how trade liberalisation affects innovation, profits and welfare when firms are engaging in strategic R&D investment. We show that there are multiple equilibria including an autarky equilibrium for a range of high but non-prohibitive trade costs. At lower trade costs, only the trading equilibrium survives. Welfare is U-shaped in the trade costs, so a small fall in trade costs can be welfare reducing. However we find a threshold level of the effectiveness of investment above which trade is always welfare superior to autarky
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth in its series Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series with number n216-11.pdf.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Reciprocal Markets; Strategic R&D Investment; Trade Costs; Trade Liberalisation; Effectiveness of R&D.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-03-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-INO-2011-03-19 (Innovation)
- NEP-INT-2011-03-19 (International Trade)
- NEP-TID-2011-03-19 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ngo Van Long & Horst Raff & Frank Stähler, 2009.
"Innovation and Trade with Heterogeneous Firms,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2796, CESifo Group Munich.
- Takauchi, Kazuhiro, 2012. "International R&D Rivalry with a Shipping Firm," MPRA Paper 36843, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.