A Lagrange Multiplier Test for Cross-Sectional Dependence in a Fixed Effects Panel Data Model
AbstractIt is well known that the standard Breusch and Pagan (1980) LM test for cross-equation correlation in a SUR model is not appropriate for testing cross-sectional dependence in panel data models when the number of cross-sectional units (n) is large and the number of time periods (T) is small. In fact, a scaled version of this LM test was proposed by Pesaran (2004) and its finite sample bias was corrected by Pesaran, Ullah and Yamagata (2008). This was done in the context of a heterogeneous panel data model. This paper derives the asymptotic bias of this scaled version of the LM test in the context of a fixed effects homogeneous panel data model.This asymptotic bias is found to be a constant related to n and T, which suggests a simple bias corrected LM test for the null hypothesis. Additionally, the paper carries out some Monte Carlo experiments to compare the finite sample properties of this proposed test with existing tests for cross-sectional dependence.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University in its series Center for Policy Research Working Papers with number 137.
Length: 40 pages
Date of creation: May 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 426 Eggers Hall, Syracuse, New York USA 13244-1020
Phone: (315) 443-3114
Fax: (315) 443-1081
Web page: http://www.maxwell.syr.edu/cpr.aspx
More information through EDIRC
LM Test; Cross-sectional Dependence; Fixed Effects; High Dimensional Inference; John Test; Panel Data JEL Classification: C13; C33.;
Other versions of this item:
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Feng, Qu & Kao, Chihwa, 2012. "A Lagrange Multiplier test for cross-sectional dependence in a fixed effects panel data model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 170(1), pages 164-177.
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Longitudinal Data; Spatial Time Series
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kapoor, Mudit & Kelejian, Harry H. & Prucha, Ingmar R., 2007. "Panel data models with spatially correlated error components," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 97-130, September.
- Kiviet, Jan F., 1995.
"On bias, inconsistency, and efficiency of various estimators in dynamic panel data models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 53-78, July.
- Tom Doan, . "LSDVC: RATS procedure to estimate a dynamic FE model with correction for bias," Statistical Software Components RTS00111, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Seuck Heun Song & Won Koh, 2002.
"Testing Panel Data Regression Models with Spatial Error Correlation,"
10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002
B6-4, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Song, Seuck Heun & Koh, Won, 2003. "Testing panel data regression models with spatial error correlation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 123-150, November.
- George Kapetanios & M. Hashem Pesaran & Takashi Yamagata, 2006.
"Panels with Nonstationary Multifactor Error Structures,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1788, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kapetanios, G. & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Yamagata, T., 2011. "Panels with non-stationary multifactor error structures," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 160(2), pages 326-348, February.
- Kapetanios, G. & Pesaran, M.H. & Yamagata, T., 2006. "Panels with Nonstationary Multifactor Error Structures," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0651, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- G. Kapetanios & M. Hashem Pesaran & T. Yamagata, 2010. "Panels with nonstationary multifactor error structures," Post-Print peer-00768190, HAL.
- Kapetanios, George & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Yamagata, Takashi, 2006. "Panels with Nonstationary Multifactor Error Structures," IZA Discussion Papers 2243, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- George Kapetanios & M. Hashem Pesaran & Takashi Yamagata, 2006. "Panels with Nonstationary Multifactor Error Structures," Working Papers 569, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- James R. Schott, 2005. "Testing for complete independence in high dimensions," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 92(4), pages 951-956, December.
- Jinyong Hahn & Guido Kuersteiner, 2002. "Asymptotically Unbiased Inference for a Dynamic Panel Model with Fixed Effects when Both "n" and "T" Are Large," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(4), pages 1639-1657, July.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Qu Feng & Chihwa Kao, 2011. "Testing for sphericity in a fixed effects panel data model," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 14(1), pages 25-47, February.
- Francesco Moscone & Elisa Tosetti, 2009. "A Review And Comparison Of Tests Of Cross-Section Independence In Panels," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(3), pages 528-561, 07.
- Lee, Lung-fei & Yu, Jihai, 2010. "Estimation of spatial autoregressive panel data models with fixed effects," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 165-185, February.
- Ng, Serena, 2006. "Testing Cross-Section Correlation in Panel Data Using Spacings," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 24, pages 12-23, January.
- Frees, Edward W., 1995. "Assessing cross-sectional correlation in panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 393-414, October.
- Sarafidis, Vasilis & Yamagata, Takashi & Robertson, Donald, 2009. "A test of cross section dependence for a linear dynamic panel model with regressors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 148(2), pages 149-161, February.
- Andreea Halunga & Chris D. Orme & Takashi Yamagata, 2011. "A Heteroskedasticity Robust Breusch-Pagan Test for Contemporaneous Correlation in Dynamic Panel Data Models," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 1118, Economics, The University of Manchester.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kelly Bogart) or (Katrina Wingle).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.