Measuring Progressivity and Inequality
AbstractA general class of progressivity indices is proposed which is consistent with the well-developed theory of the measurement of inequality and social welfare. In particular, we show that the more progressive a tax system, the more equal the distribution of net income and the greater the progressivity index. For an additive social welfare function and a progressive tax system, the greater the degree of relative inequality aversion, the greater the progressivity index. We also discuss the link between inequality of gross income and tax progressivity. A by-product is the derivation of a general class of inequality measures that are invariant to equi-proportionate changes in incomes. We illustrate the analysis using the British tax and benefit system.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université Laval - Département d'économique in its series Cahiers de recherche with number 9525.
Date of creation: 1995
Date of revision:
Progressivity; redistribution; inequality; social welfare;
Other versions of this item:
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- H23 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Externalities; Redistributive Effects; Environmental Taxes and Subsidies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Duclos, Jean-Yves & Jalbert, Vincent & Araar, Abdelkrim, 2000.
"Classical Horizontal Inequity and Reranking: an Integrated Approach,"
Cahiers de recherche
0002, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Jean-Yves Duclos & Vincent Jalbert & Abdelkrim Araar, 2001. "Classical Horizontal Inequity and Reranking: an Integrated Approach," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 478.01, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Duclos, J.Y. & Jalbert, V. & Araar, A., 2000. "Classical Horizontal Inequity and Reranking: an Integrated Approach," Papers 0002, Laval - Recherche en Politique Economique.
- Duclos, Jean-Yves & Jalbert, Vincent & Araar, Abdelkrim, 2003. "Classical Horizontal Inequity and Reranking: an Integrating Approach," Cahiers de recherche 0306, CIRPEE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Johanne Perron).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.