Export Strategies of New Exporters: Why is Export Expansion Along the Extensive Margins so Sluggish?
AbstractRecent theoretical models of international trade with heterogeneous firms feature instan- taneous adjustment of margins of exports to firm and market characteristics, and equality of distributions of margins of exports between new and incumbent exporters. By using the pop- ulation of Slovenian firms and their transaction-level trade data we document large differences between these firms that cannot be attributed to the differences in total factor productivity. This paper contributes to the field by demonstrating that access to financing, measured by eq- uity, debt-to-asset ratio and access to internal credit markets within firm groups, may account for an important part of observed differences in the extensive margins of exports between new and incumbent exporters.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven in its series LICOS Discussion Papers with number 27711.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: De Bériotstraat 34, B-3000 Leuven
Phone: +32 (0) 16 / 32 6598
Fax: +32 (0) 16 / 32 6599
Web page: http://www.econ.kuleuven.be/licos
More information through EDIRC
exports; multi-product Â…rms; Â…rm heterogeneity; Â…nancial constraints;
Other versions of this item:
- Damijan, Joze & Kostevc, Crt & Polanec, Saso, 2011. "Export strategies of new exporters: why is export expansion along the extensive margins so sluggish?," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/301481, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-03-05 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Minniti, Antonio, 2006.
"Multi-Product Firms, R&D, and Growth,"
2097, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- International Study Group on Exports and Productivity (ISGEP), 2008.
"Understanding Cross-Country Differences in Exporter Premia: Comparable Evidence for 14 Countries,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 144(4), pages 596-635, December.
- Wagner, Joachim & Van Biesebroeck, Jo, 2008. "Understanding cross-country differences in export premia - Comparable evidence for 14 countries," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/199893, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Thierry Mayer & Marc J. Melitz & Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano, 2011.
"Market Size, Competition, and the Product Mix of Exporters,"
Development Working Papers
316, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Mayer, Thierry & Melitz, Marc J & Ottaviano, Gianmarco Ireo Paolo, 2011. "Market Size, Competition, and the Product Mix of Exporters," CEPR Discussion Papers 8349, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thierry Mayer & Marc Melitz & Gianmarco Ottaviano, 2011. "Market Size, Competition, and the Product Mix of Exporters," Working Papers 2011-11, CEPII research center.
- Thierry Mayer & Marc J. Melitz & Gianmarco I. P. Ottaviano, 2012. "Market Size, Competition, and the Product Mix of Exporters," CEP Discussion Papers dp1146, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Thierry Mayer & Marc J. Melitz & Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano, 2011. "Market Size, Competition, and the Product Mix of Exporters," NBER Working Papers 16959, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gianmarco Ottaviano & Marc J. Melitz & Thierry Mayer, 2011. "Market size, competition, and the product mix of exporters," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/c8dmi8nm4pd, Sciences Po.
- Thierry Mayer & Marc J. Melitz & Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano, 2010. "Market size, competition and the product mix of exporters," Working Paper Research 202, National Bank of Belgium.
- Leonardo Iacovone & BeataS. Javorcik, 2010. "Multi-Product Exporters: Product Churning, Uncertainty and Export Discoveries," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 120(544), pages 481-499, 05.
- Holtz-Eakin, Douglas & Joulfaian, David & Rosen, Harvey S, 1994.
"Sticking It Out: Entrepreneurial Survival and Liquidity Constraints,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(1), pages 53-75, February.
- Douglas Holtz-Eakin & David Joulfaian & Harvey S. Rosen, 1993. "Sticking it Out: Entrepreneurial Survival and Liquidity Constraints," NBER Working Papers 4494, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Costas Arkolakis, 2009.
"A Unified Theory of Firm Selection and Growth,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2679, CESifo Group Munich.
- Costas Arkolakis & Marc-Andreas Muendler, 2010.
"The Extensive Margin of Exporting Products: A Firm-level Analysis,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3309, CESifo Group Munich.
- Costas Arkolakis & Marc-Andreas Muendler, 2010. "The Extensive Margin of Exporting Products: A Firm-level Analysis," NBER Working Papers 16641, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lu�s M B Cabral & Jos� Mata, 2003.
"On the Evolution of the Firm Size Distribution: Facts and Theory,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(4), pages 1075-1090, September.
- Cabral, Luís M B & Mata, José, 2001. "On the Evolution of the Firm Size Distribution: Facts and Theory," CEPR Discussion Papers 3045, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tibor Besedeš & Byung–Cheol Kim & Volodymyr Lugovskyy, 2011. "Export Growth and Credit Constraints," CeFiG Working Papers 16, Center for Firms in the Global Economy, revised 16 Oct 2011.
- Jaan Masso & Priit Vahter, 2011. "Exporting And Productivity: The Effects Of Multi-Market And Multi-Product Export Entry," University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration Working Paper Series 83, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.