Class Structure and Economic Inequality
AbstractExisting empirical schemas of class structure do not specify the capitalist class in an adequate manner. We propose a schema in which the specification of capitalist households is based on wealth thresholds. Individuals in noncapitalist households are assigned class locations based on their position in the labor process. The schema is designed to address the question of the relationship between class structure and overall economic inequality. Our analysis of the U.S. data shows that class divisions among households, especially the large gaps between capitalist households and everyone else, contribute substantially to overall inequality.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Levy Economics Institute, The in its series Economics Working Paper Archive with number wp_487.
Date of creation: Jan 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.levyinstitute.org
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-02-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-LTV-2007-02-24 (Unemployment, Inequality & Poverty)
- NEP-PKE-2007-02-24 (Post Keynesian Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Milanovic, Branko & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 2002.
"Decomposing World Income Distribution: Does the World Have a Middle Class?,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 48(2), pages 155-78, June.
- Milanovic, Branko & Shlomo Yitzhaki, 2001. "Decomposing world income distribution : does the world have a middle class ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2562, The World Bank.
- Shaikh,Anwar M. & Tonak,E. Ahmet, 1997. "Measuring the Wealth of Nations," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521564793, November.
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo & Lerman, Robert I, 1991. "Income Stratification and Income Inequality," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 37(3), pages 313-29, September.
- repec:rus:hseeco:15683 is not listed on IDEAS
- Edward N. Wolff & Ajit Zacharias, 2006.
"Household Wealth and the Measurement of Economic Well-Being in the United States,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
wp_447, Levy Economics Institute, The.
- Edward Wolff & Ajit Zacharias, 2009. "Household wealth and the measurement of economic well-being in the United States," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 83-115, June.
- Shujie Yao, 1999. "On the decomposition of Gini coefficients by population class and income source: a spreadsheet approach and application," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 31(10), pages 1249-1264.
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1994. "Economic distance and overlapping of distributions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 147-159, March.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- La desigualdad en Estados Unidos en términos de clase social
by Alberto Garzón Espinosa in Pijus Economicus on 2010-05-27 12:41:21
- Buzaglo, Jorge & Calzadilla, Alvaro, 2008. "Simulating extended reproduction: Poverty reduction and class dynamics in Bolivia," MPRA Paper 28749, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Stockhammer, Engelbert, 2013. "Why have wage shares fallen? A panel analysis of the determinants of functional income distribution: for the International Labour Organisation (ILO) project "New Perspectives on Wages and Economi," ILO Working Papers 470913, International Labour Organization.
- Buzaglo, Jorge & Calzadilla, Alvaro, 2010.
"La pobreza y las clases: Dinámicas y estrategias en Bolivia
[Poverty and class: Dynamics and strategies in Bolivia]," MPRA Paper 28750, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie-Celeste Edwards).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.