Fiscal Policy For the Coming Recession: Large Tax Cuts are Needed to Prevent a Hard Landing
AbstractGrowing government surpluses, a ballooning trade deficit, and the resulting growth in private sector debt have placed the U.S. economy in a precarious position. Papadimitriou and Wray agree with President George W. Bush that fiscal stimulus is necessary to reinvigorate the economy; in the current economic environment, monetary policy will not work. However, a tax cut that would adequately stave off a downturn needs to be substantially larger than that proposed by the president. Therefore, in addition to the president's proposal to cut marginal income tax rates, the authors include among their recommends a payroll tax reduction and an expansion of the EITC.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Levy Economics Institute, The in its series Economics Policy Note Archive with number 01-2.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.levyinstitute.org
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2001-02-14 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- L. Randall Wray, . "The Emperor Has No Clothes: President Clinton's Proposed Social Security Reform," Economics Policy Note Archive 99-2, Levy Economics Institute, The.
- Wynne Godley & L. Randall Wray, . "Can Goldilocks Survive?," Economics Policy Note Archive 99-4, Levy Economics Institute, The.
- Dimitri B. Papadimitriou & L. Randall Wray, . "What to Do with the Surplus: Fiscal Policy and the Coming Recession," Economics Policy Note Archive 98-6, Levy Economics Institute, The.
- Alex Izurieta, 2001. "Can Countries under A Common Currency Conduct Their Own Fiscal Policies?," Macroeconomics 0108008, EconWPA.
- Greg Hannsgen & Dimitri B. Papadimitriou, 2009. "Fiscal Stimulus, Job Creation, and the Economy: What Are the Lessons of the New Deal?," Economics Policy Note Archive 09-10, Levy Economics Institute, The.
- Dimitri B. Papadimitriou & L. Randall Wray, . "Are We All Keynesians (Again)?," Economics Policy Note Archive 01-10, Levy Economics Institute, The.
- Wynne Godley & Alex Izurieta, 2001. "As The Implosion Begins . . .? Prospects and Policies for the U.S. Economy: A Strategic View," Economics Strategic Analysis Archive 01-7, Levy Economics Institute, The.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie-Celeste Edwards).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.