Non-Parametric Analysis of Efficiency Gains from Bank Mergers in India
AbstractThis paper offers an insight into the effectiveness of economic policy reforms in the Indian Banking System by examining the efficiency benefits of mergers among Scheduled Commercial Banks in India over the post-reform period 1991-92 to 2004-05. It does this by using the methodology developed by Bogetoft and Wang (2005). We also provide a metric for judging the success or failure of a merger. Overall, we find that bank mergers in the post-reform period possessed Considerable potential efficiency gains stemming from harmony gains. Post-merger efficiency analysis of the merged bank with a control group of non-merging banks reveals an initial merger related efficiency advantage for the former that, while persistent, did not show a sustained increase this failing to provide merging banks with a competitive advantage vis-a-viz their non-merging counterparts.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, Loughborough University in its series Discussion Paper Series with number 2006_18.
Date of creation: Oct 2006
Date of revision: Oct 2006
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Loughborough, Leicestershire, LE11 3TU
Phone: +44 (0) 1509 222701
Fax: +44 (0) 1509 223910
Web page: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/sbe/research/economics/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Data Envelopment Analysis; Mergers; Banking; Intermediation Approach; Production Approach.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-10-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2006-10-28 (Banking)
- NEP-COM-2006-10-28 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CSE-2006-10-28 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-CWA-2006-10-28 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-EFF-2006-10-28 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-FIN-2006-10-28 (Finance)
- NEP-IND-2006-10-28 (Industrial Organization)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mester, Loretta J., 1996. "A study of bank efficiency taking into account risk-preferences," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 1025-1045, July.
- P.L. Beena, 2000. "An analysis of mergers in the private corporate sector in India," Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum Working Papers 301, Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum, India.
- Abhiman Das & K. R. Sanmugam, 2004.
"Efficiency of Indian commercial banks during the reform period,"
- K. R. Shanmugam & A. Das, 2004. "Efficiency of Indian commercial banks during the reform period," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 14(9), pages 681-686.
- P.L. Beena, 2004. "Towards understanding the merger-wave in the Indian corporate sector: A comparative perspective," Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum Working Papers 355, Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum, India.
- Ram Mohan, T. T. & Ray Subhash C, . "Productivity and efficiency at public and private sector banks in India," IIMA Working Papers WP2003-06-01, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, Research and Publication Department.
- Bogetoft, Peter & Wang, Dexiang, 2003.
"Estimating the Potential Gains from Mergers,"
Unit of Economics Working papers
24213, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Food and Resource Economic Institute.
- T. G. Arun & J. D. Turner, 2002. "Financial Sector Reforms in Developing Countries: The Indian Experience," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(3), pages 429-445, 03.
- Ross Levine, 1997.
"Financial Development and Economic Growth: Views and Agenda,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 688-726, June.
- Levine, Ross, 1996. "Financial development and economic growth : views and agenda," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1678, The World Bank.
- Das, Abhiman & Ghosh, Saibal, 2006. "Financial deregulation and efficiency: An empirical analysis of Indian banks during the post reform period," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 193-221.
- Altunbas, Yener & Liu, Ming-Hau & Molyneux, Philip & Seth, Rama, 2000. "Efficiency and risk in Japanese banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(10), pages 1605-1628, October.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1997.
"Efficiency of financial institutions: International survey and directions for future research,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 175-212, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of Financial Institutions: International Survey and Directions for Future Research," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: international survey and directions for future research," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Saha, Asish & Ravisankar, T. S., 2000. "Rating of Indian commercial banks: A DEA approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 124(1), pages 187-203, July.
- Amel, Dean & Barnes, Colleen & Panetta, Fabio & Salleo, Carmelo, 2004. "Consolidation and efficiency in the financial sector: A review of the international evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(10), pages 2493-2519, October.
- Michael Koetter, 2005.
"Evaluating the German Bank Merger Wave,"
05-16, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Koetter, Michael, 2005. "Evaluating the German bank merger wave," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2005,12, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Bhattacharyya, Arunava & Lovell, C. A. K. & Sahay, Pankaj, 1997. "The impact of liberalization on the productive efficiency of Indian commercial banks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 332-345, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Huw Edwards).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.