Banking reforms and the evolution of cost efficiency in Indian public sector banks
AbstractThis paper analyses the trends of cost efficiency and its components across Indian public sector banks (PSBs) during the post-deregulation period spanning from 1992/1993 to 2007/2008. The study also examines the issue of convergence in cost, technical and allocative efficiency levels of Indian PSBs. The empirical results indicate that deregulation has had a positive impact on the cost efficiency of Indian public sector banking industry over the period of study. Further, technical efficiency of Indian PSBs followed an uptrend, while allocative efficiency followed a path of deceleration. We note that in Indian public sector banking industry, the cost inefficiency is mainly driven by technical inefficiency rather than allocative inefficiency. The convergence analysis reveals that the inefficient PSBs are not only catching-up but also moving ahead of the efficient ones, i.e., the banks with the low level of cost efficiency at the beginning of the period are growing more rapidly than the highly cost efficient banks. In sum, the study confirms a strong presence of σ- and β-convergence in cost efficiency levels of Indian public sector banking industry. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC. 2013
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Economic Change and Restructuring.
Volume (Year): 46 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=113294
Data envelopment analysis; Public sector banks; Cost efficiency; Technical efficiency; Allocative efficiency; Convergence; G21; G15;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997.
"Efficiency of Financial Institutions: International Survey and Directions for Future Research,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
97-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: International survey and directions for future research," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 175-212, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: international survey and directions for future research," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bhattacharyya, Arunava & Lovell, C. A. K. & Sahay, Pankaj, 1997. "The impact of liberalization on the productive efficiency of Indian commercial banks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 332-345, April.
- M. Sreeramulu & Nancy H. Vaz & Sharad Kumar, 2010. "Efficiency of Indian banks during 1999â€“2008: a stochastic frontier approach," International Journal of Financial Services Management, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 4(4), pages 298-310.
- Fethi, Meryem Duygun & Pasiouras, Fotios, 2010. "Assessing bank efficiency and performance with operational research and artificial intelligence techniques: A survey," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 204(2), pages 189-198, July.
- Laurent Weill, 2004. "Measuring Cost Efficiency in European Banking: A Comparison of Frontier Techniques," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 21(2), pages 133-152, March.
- Leightner, Jonathan E. & Lovell, C. A. Knox, 1998. "The Impact of Financial Liberalization on the Performance of Thai Banks," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 115-131, March.
- Ghosh, Saibal, 2009. "Financial Deregulation and Profit Efficiency: A Non-parametric Analysis of Indian Banks," MPRA Paper 24292, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mamatzakis, Emmanuel & Staikouras, Christos & Koutsomanoli-Filippaki, Anastasia, 2008. "Bank efficiency in the new European Union member states: Is there convergence?," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 1156-1172, December.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna, 1985. " Nonparametric Cost Approach to Scale Efficiency," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 87(4), pages 594-604.
- Shabbar Jaffry & Yaseen Ghulam & Sean Pascoe & Joe Cox, 2005.
"Regulatory Changes and Productivity of the Banking Sector in the Indian Sub-Continent,"
The Pakistan Development Review,
Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 44(4), pages 1021-1047.
- Jaffry, Shabbar & Ghulam, Yaseen & Pascoe, Sean & Cox, Joe, 2007. "Regulatory changes and productivity of the banking sector in the Indian sub-continent," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 415-438, June.
- Ferrier, Gary D. & Lovell, C. A. Knox, 1990. "Measuring cost efficiency in banking : Econometric and linear programming evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 229-245.
- Staikouras, Christos & Mamatzakis, Emmanuel & Koutsomanoli-Filippaki, Anastasia, 2008. "Cost efficiency of the banking industry in the South Eastern European region," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 483-497, December.
- Matthews, Kent & Guo, Jianguang & Zhang, Xu, 2008. "X-efficiency versus Rent Seeking in Chinese banks: 1997-2006," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2008/26, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- Robert J. Barro, 1995.
"Inflation and Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
5326, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sala-i-Martin, Xavier X, 1996.
"The Classical Approach to Convergence Analysis,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(437), pages 1019-36, July.
- Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1995. "The Classical Approach to Convergence Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 1254, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sala-i-martin, X., 1995. "The Classical Approach to Convergence Analysis," Papers 734, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1995. "The classical approach to convergence analysis," Economics Working Papers 117, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Ferrier, Gary D. & Grosskopf, Shawna & Hayes, Kathy J. & Yaisawarng, Suthathip, 1993. "Economies of diversification in the banking industry : A frontier approach," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 229-249, April.
- Adrian R. Gourlay & Geetha Ravishankar & Tom Weyman-Jones, 2006. "Non-Parametric Analysis of Efficiency Gains from Bank Mergers in India," Discussion Paper Series 2006_18, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Oct 2006.
- M. Kabir Hassan & Benito Sanchez, 2007. "Efficiency Determinants and Dynamic Efficiency Changes in Latin American Banking Industries," NFI Working Papers 2007-WP-32, Indiana State University, Scott College of Business, Networks Financial Institute.
- Tianshu Zhao & Barbara Casu & Alessandra Ferrari, 2006.
"Deregulation and productivity growth: a study of Indian commercial banking,"
Economic Analysis Research Group Working Papers
earg-wp2006-07, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Tianshu Zhao & Barbara Casu & Alessandra Ferrari, 2006. "Deregulation and productivity growth: a study of Indian commercial banking," Economics & Management Discussion Papers em-dp2006-38, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Canhoto, Ana & Dermine, Jean, 2003. "A note on banking efficiency in Portugal, New vs. Old banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(11), pages 2087-2098, November.
- Emili Tortosa-Ausina, 2002. "Bank Cost Efficiency and Output Specification," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 199-222, November.
- Subhash Ray, 2004.
"Are Some Indian Bank Too Large? A Examination of Size Efficiency in Indian Banking,"
2004-28, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Subhash Ray, 2007. "Are some Indian banks too large? An examination of size efficiency in Indian banking," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 41-56, February.
- Humphrey, David B & Pulley, Lawrence B, 1997. "Banks' Responses to Deregulation: Profits, Technology, and Efficiency," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(1), pages 73-93, February.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C, et al, 2001.
"The Effects of Deregulation on the Performance of Financial Institutions: The Case of Spanish Savings Banks,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(1), pages 101-20, February.
- Subal C. Kumbhakar & Ana Lozano-Vivas & C. A. Knox Lovell & Iftekhar Hasan, 1999. "The Effects of Deregulation on the Performance of Financial Institutions: The Case of Spanish Savings Banks," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 99-064, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Amarender Reddy, 2004. "Banking Sector Liberalization and Efficiency of Indian Banks," The IUP Journal of Bank Management, IUP Publications, vol. 0(2), pages 37-53, MAY.
- Montek S. Ahluwalia, 2002. "Economic Reforms in India Since 1991: Has Gradualism Worked?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(3), pages 67-88, Summer.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Subal Kumbhakar & Dan Wang, 2007. "Economic reforms, efficiency and productivity in Chinese banking," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 105-129, October.
- Hao, Jonathan & Hunter, William Curt & Yang, Won Keun, 2001. "Deregulation and efficiency: the case of private Korean banks," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 53(2-3), pages 237-254.
- Rudra Sensarma, 2008. "Deregulation, ownership and profit performance of banks: evidence from India," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(19), pages 1581-1595.
- Grabowski, Richard & Rangan, Nanda & Rezvanian, Rasoul, 1994. "The effect of deregulation on the efficiency of U.S. banking firms," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 39-54, February.
- Das, Abhiman & Ghosh, Saibal, 2006. "Financial deregulation and efficiency: An empirical analysis of Indian banks during the post reform period," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 193-221.
- Sensarma, Rudra, 2006. "Are foreign banks always the best? Comparison of state-owned, private and foreign banks in India," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 717-735, July.
- Sathye, Milind, 2003. "Efficiency of banks in a developing economy: The case of India," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 148(3), pages 662-671, August.
- Siva Reddy Kalluru & Sham Bhat K, 2009. "Determinants of Cost Efficiency of Commercial Banks in India," The IUP Journal of Bank Management, IUP Publications, vol. 0(2), pages 32-50, May.
- Daley, Jenifer & Matthews, Kent, 2009. "Efficiency and Convergence in the Jamaican banking sector 1998-2007," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2009/30, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C & Sarkar, Subrata, 2003. " Deregulation, Ownership, and Productivity Growth in the Banking Industry: Evidence from India," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 35(3), pages 403-24, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.