Efficiency of Indian commercial banks during the reform period
AbstractThis article contributes to the banking efficiency literature by measuring technical efficiency of banks in four different ownership groups in India during the reform period, 1992–1999. It employs the stochastic frontier function methodology for panel data. The results indicate that the efficiency of raising interest margin is time invariant while the efficiencies of raising other outputs-non-interest income, investments and credits are time varying. The state bank group and foreign banks are more efficient than their counterparts. The reform period witnessed a relatively high efficiency for augmenting investments, which is consistent with economic growth objective of the reform measures. However, there are still larger gaps between the actual and potential performances of banks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Industrial Organization with number 0410005.
Length: 6 pages
Date of creation: 28 Oct 2004
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 6. Published in 'Applied Financial Economics', 2004, 14, 681–686
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://188.8.131.52
Other versions of this item:
- K. R. Shanmugam & A. Das, 2004. "Efficiency of Indian commercial banks during the reform period," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(9), pages 681-686.
- L - Industrial Organization
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1990.
"Measurement and efficiency issues in commercial banking,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
151, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1992. "Measurement and Efficiency Issues in Commercial Banking," NBER Chapters, in: Output Measurement in the Service Sectors, pages 245-300 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul W. Bauer & Allen N. Berger & Gary D. Ferrier & David B. Humphrey, 1997.
"Consistency conditions for regulatory analysis of financial institutions: a comparison of frontier efficiency methods,"
Financial Services working paper
97-02, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Bauer, Paul W. & Berger, Allen N. & Ferrier, Gary D. & Humphrey, David B., 1998. "Consistency Conditions for Regulatory Analysis of Financial Institutions: A Comparison of Frontier Efficiency Methods," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 85-114, March.
- Paul W. Bauer & Allen N. Berger & Gary D. Ferrier & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Consistency conditions for regulatory analysis of financial institutions: a comparison of frontier efficiency methods," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-50, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Berg, Sigbjorn Atle & Forsund, Finn R. & Hjalmarsson, Lennart & Suominen, Matti, 1993. "Banking efficiency in the Nordic countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 371-388, April.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Ferrier, Gary D. & Lovell, C. A. Knox, 1990. "Measuring cost efficiency in banking : Econometric and linear programming evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 229-245.
- Bhattacharyya, Arunava & Lovell, C. A. K. & Sahay, Pankaj, 1997. "The impact of liberalization on the productive efficiency of Indian commercial banks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 332-345, April.
- Bauer, Paul W., 1990. "Recent developments in the econometric estimation of frontiers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 39-56.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C. & Heshmati, Almas & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 1997. "Temporal patterns of technical efficiency: Results from competing models," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 597-616, August.
- Fried, Harold O. & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Shelton S. (ed.), 1993. "The Measurement of Productive Efficiency: Techniques and Applications," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195072181, September.
- S. S. Rajan & K. L. N. Reddy & V. N. Pandit, 2011. "Efficiency And Productivity Growth In Indian Banking," Working papers 199, Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics.
- Ghosh, Saibal, 2009. "Financial Deregulation and Profit Efficiency: A Non-parametric Analysis of Indian Banks," MPRA Paper 24292, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Don U.A. Galagedera & Piyadasa Edirisuriya, 2004. "Performance of Indian commercial banks (1995-2002): an application of data envelopment analysis and Malmquist productivity index," Finance 0408006, EconWPA.
- Sanyal, Paroma & Shankar, Rashmi, 2011. "Ownership, competition, and bank productivity: An analysis of Indian banking in the post-reform period," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 225-247, April.
- Bhattacharyya, Aditi & Pal, Sudeshna, 2013. "Financial reforms and technical efficiency in Indian commercial banking: A generalized stochastic frontier analysis," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 109-117.
- Adrian R. Gourlay & Geetha Ravishankar & Tom Weyman-Jones, 2006. "Non-Parametric Analysis of Efficiency Gains from Bank Mergers in India," Discussion Paper Series 2006_18, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Oct 2006.
- Aditi Bhattacharyya & Sudeshna Pal, 2011. "Financial Reforms and Technical Efficiency in Indian Commercial Banking: A Generalized Stochastic Frontier Analysis," Working Papers 1104, Sam Houston State University, Department of Economics and International Business.
- Jaffry, Shabbar & Ghulam, Yaseen & Cox, Joe, 2008. "Labour use efficiency in the Indian and Pakistani commercial banks," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 259-293, June.
- S S Rajan & K L N Reddy & V N Pandit, 2011. "Efficiency and Productivity Growth in Indian Banking," Working Papers id:4359, eSocialSciences.
- Fujii, Hidemichi & Managi, Shunsuke & Matousek, Roman, 2014. "Indian bank efficiency and productivity changes with undesirable outputs: A disaggregated approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 41-50.
- Sensarma, Rudra, 2006. "Are foreign banks always the best? Comparison of state-owned, private and foreign banks in India," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 717-735, July.
- Jaffry, Shabbar & Ghulam, Yaseen & Cox, Joe, 2013. "Trends in efficiency in response to regulatory reforms: The case of Indian and Pakistani commercial banks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 226(1), pages 122-131.
- Manlagñit, Maria Chelo V., 2011. "Cost efficiency, determinants, and risk preferences in banking: A case of stochastic frontier analysis in the Philippines," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 23-35, February.
- Dang, Trang & Leatham, David J., 2011. "Measuring efficiency of the Farm Credit System," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 104006, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Sufian, Fadzlan, 2011. "Banks total factor productivity change in a developing economy: Does ownership and origins matter?," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 84-98, February.
- Margono, Heru & Sharma, Subhash C. & Melvin II, Paul D., 2010. "Cost efficiency, economies of scale, technological progress and productivity in Indonesian banks," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 53-65, February.
- Dhiraj Sharma, 2012. "Does Technology Lead to Better Financial Performance? A Study of Indian Commercial Banks," Managing Global Transitions, University of Primorska, Faculty of Management Koper, vol. 10(1 (Spring), pages 3-28.
- Shakil Quayes & Baqui Khalily, 2013. "Efficiency of Microfinance Institutions in Bangladesh," Working Papers 19, Institute of Microfinance (InM).
- Sunil Kumar & Rachita Gulati, 2009. "Did efficiency of Indian public sector banks converge with banking reforms?," International Review of Economics, Springer, vol. 56(1), pages 47-84, March.
- Fadzlan Sufian, 2012. "Determinants of multinational banks’ subsidiary performance: the host and home country effects," Journal of Economic and Administrative Sciences, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 28(2), pages 130-155, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.