Dynamically consistent Choquet random walk and real investments
AbstractIn the real investments literature, the investigated cash flow is assumed to follow some known stochastic process (e.g. Brownian motion) and the criterion to decide between investments is the discounted utility of their cash flows. However, for most new investments the investor may be ambiguous about the representation of uncertainty. In order to take such ambiguity into account, we refer to a discounted Choquet expected utility in our model. In such a setting some problems are to dealt with: dynamical consistency, here it is obtained in a recursive model by a weakened version of the axiom. Mimicking the Brownian motion as the limit of a random walk for the investment payoff process, we describe the latter as a binomial tree with capacities instead of exact probabilities on its branches and show what are its properties at the limit. We show that most results in the real investments literature are tractable in this enlarged setting but leave more room to ambiguity as both the mean and the variance of the underlying stochastic process are modified in our ambiguous model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by LAMETA, Universtiy of Montpellier in its series Working Papers with number 10-21.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision: 2010
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Avenue Raymond Dugrand, CS 79606, 34960 Montpellier Cedex 2
Web page: http://www.lameta.univ-montp1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Robert Kast & André Lapied, 2010. "Dynamically consistent Choquet random walk and real investments," Working Papers halshs-00533826, HAL.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Riedel, Frank, 2004.
"Dynamic coherent risk measures,"
Stochastic Processes and their Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 185-200, August.
- Larry G. Epstein & Martin Schneider, 2001.
RCER Working Papers
485, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Schmeidler, David, 1989.
"Subjective Probability and Expected Utility without Additivity,"
Econometric Society, vol. 57(3), pages 571-87, May.
- David Schmeidler, 1989. "Subjective Probability and Expected Utility without Additivity," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7662, David K. Levine.
- Robert Kast & André Lapied, 2010.
"Valuing future cash flows with non separable discount factors and non additive subjective measures: conditional Choquet capacities on time and on uncertainty,"
Theory and Decision,
Springer, vol. 69(1), pages 27-53, July.
- Robert Kast & André Lapied, 2008. "Valuing future cash flows with non separable discount factors and non additive subjective measures: Conditional Choquet Capacities on Time and on Uncertainty," Working Papers 08-09, LAMETA, Universtiy of Montpellier, revised Jun 2008.
- De Waegenaere, Anja & Kast, Robert & Lapied, Andre, 2003. "Choquet pricing and equilibrium," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 359-370, July.
- Gilboa Itzhak & Schmeidler David, 1993.
"Updating Ambiguous Beliefs,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 33-49, February.
- Kallal, Hedi & Jouini, Elyès, 1995. "Martingales and arbitrage in securities markets with transaction costs," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/5630, Paris Dauphine University.
- Kast, R. & Lapied, A., 1997. "A Decision Theoretic Approach to Bid-Ask Spreads," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 97a17, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Chateauneuf, A. & Kast, R. & Lapied, A., 1992.
"Choquet Pricing for Financial Markets with Frictions,"
92a11, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- A. Chateauneuf & R. Kast & A. Lapied, 1996. "Choquet Pricing For Financial Markets With Frictions," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(3), pages 323-330.
- Robert Kast & André Lapied & Pascal Toquebeuf, 2008. "Updating Choquet Integrals , Consequentialism and Dynamic Consistency," ICER Working Papers - Applied Mathematics Series 04-2008, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patricia Modat).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.