General Equilibrium without Utility Functions: How far to go?
AbstractHow far can we go in weakening the assumptions of the general equilibrium model? Existence of equilibrium, structural stability and finiteness of equilibria of regular economies, genericity of regular economies and an index formula for the equilibria of regular economies have been known not to require transitivity and completeness of consumers’ preferences. We show in this paper that if consumers’ non-ordered preferences satisfy a mild version of convexity already considered in the literature, then the following properties are also satisfied: 1) the smooth manifold structure and the diffeomorphism of the equilibrium manifold with a Euclidean space; 2) the diffeomorphism of the set of no-trade equilibria with a Euclidean space; 3) the openness and genericity of the set of regular equilibria as a subset of the equilibrium manifold; 4) for small trade vectors, the uniqueness, regularity and stability of equilibrium for two version of tatonnement; 5) the pathconnectedness of the sets of stable equilibria.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics in its series Discussion Papers with number 09-17.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Øster Farimagsgade 5, Building 26, DK-1353 Copenhagen K., Denmark
Phone: (+45) 35 32 30 10
Fax: +45 35 32 30 00
Web page: http://www.econ.ku.dk
More information through EDIRC
general equilibrium; equilibrium manifold; natural projection; demand functions;
Other versions of this item:
- Yves Balasko & Mich Tvede, 2010. "General equilibrium without utility functions: how far to go?," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 45(1), pages 201-225, October.
- C62 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Existence and Stability Conditions of Equilibrium
- D11 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Theory
- D51 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Exchange and Production Economies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-09-11 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- DEBREU, Gérard, .
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-132, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Shafer, Wayne J, 1974. "The Nontransitive Consumer," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(5), pages 913-19, September.
- DEBREU, Gérard, .
"Economies with a finite set of equilibria,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-67, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Balasko, Yves, 2003. "Economies with price-dependent preferences," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 109(2), pages 333-359, April.
- Schmeidler, David, 1969.
"Competitive Equilibria in Markets with a Continuum of Traders and Incomplete Preferences,"
Econometric Society, vol. 37(4), pages 578-85, October.
- SCHMEIDLER, David, . "Competitive equilibria in markets with a continuum of traders and incomplete preferences," CORE Discussion Papers RP -62, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Schecter, Stephen, 1979. "On the structure of the equilibrium manifold," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 1-5, March.
- Gale, D. & Mas-Colell, A., 1975. "An equilibrium existence theorem for a general model without ordered preferences," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 9-15, March.
- Yannelis, Nicholas C. & Prabhakar, N. D., 1983. "Existence of maximal elements and equilibria in linear topological spaces," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 233-245, December.
- Shafer, Wayne & Sonnenschein, Hugo, 1975.
"Equilibrium in abstract economies without ordered preferences,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 345-348, December.
- Wayne Shafer & Hugo Sonnenschein, 1974. "Equilibrium in Abstract Economies Without Ordered Preferences," Discussion Papers 94, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- M. I. Finley, 1958. "Note," Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 11(1), pages 97-97, 08.
- Balasko, Yves, 1992. "The set of regular equilibria," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 1-8, October.
- Loewenstein, George & Prelec, Drazen, 1992. "Anomalies in Intertemporal Choice: Evidence and an Interpretation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(2), pages 573-97, May.
- Bonnisseau, Jean-Marc, 2003. "Regular economies with non-ordered preferences," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 153-174, June.
- Balasko, Yves, 1978. "Economic Equilibrium and Catastrophe Theory: An Introduction," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(3), pages 557-69, May.
- Yves Balasko, 2007. "Out-of-equilibrium price dynamics," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 33(3), pages 413-435, December.
- Loomes, Graham & Taylor, Caron, 1992. "Non-transitive Preferences over Gains and Losses," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(411), pages 357-65, March.
- Smale, S., 1974. "Global analysis and economics III : Pareto Optima and price equilibria," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 107-117, August.
- Balasko, Yves, 1975. "The Graph of the Walras Correspondence," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 43(5-6), pages 907-12, Sept.-Nov.
- Kihlstrom, Richard E & Mas-Colell, Andreu & Sonnenschein, Hugo, 1976. "The Demand Theory of the Weak Axiom of Revealed Preference," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(5), pages 971-78, September.
- Balasko, Yves, 1975. "Some results on uniqueness and on stability of equilibrium in general equilibrium theory," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 95-118.
- Dierker, Egbert, 1972. "Two Remarks on the Number of Equilibria of an Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(5), pages 951-53, September.
- Lutz Arnold, 2013. "Existence of equilibrium in the Helpman–Krugman model of international trade with imperfect competition," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 52(1), pages 237-270, January.
- Hans Keiding & Mich Tvede, 2013. "Revealed smooth nontransitive preferences," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 54(3), pages 463-484, November.
- A. Mantovi, 2014. "On luxury and equilibrium," Economics Department Working Papers 2014-EP02, Department of Economics, Parma University (Italy).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Hoffmann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.