The Chinese Health Care System: Structure, Problems and Challenges
AbstractIn the present paper we describe the structure of the Chinese health care system and sketch its future development. We analyse issues of provider incentives and the actual burden sharing between government, enterprises and people. We further aim to identify a number of current problems and link these to a discussion of future challenges in the form of an aging population, increased privatization and increased inequity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics in its series Discussion Papers with number 08-01.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Øster Farimagsgade 5, Building 26, DK-1353 Copenhagen K., Denmark
Phone: (+45) 35 32 30 10
Fax: +45 35 32 30 00
Web page: http://www.econ.ku.dk
More information through EDIRC
Chinese health care system; provider incentives; burden sharing; aging population; inequity;
Other versions of this item:
- Jens Leth. Hougaard & Lars Peter. sterdal & Yi Yu, 2011. "The Chinese Healthcare System: Structure, Problems and Challenges," Applied Health Economics and Health Policy, Springer Healthcare | Adis, vol. 9(1), pages 1-13.
- H51 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Government Expenditures and Health
- H75 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - State and Local Government: Health, Education, and Welfare
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-01-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-CNA-2008-01-26 (China)
- NEP-HEA-2008-01-26 (Health Economics)
- NEP-TRA-2008-01-26 (Transition Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ng, Ying Chu, 2011. "The productive efficiency of Chinese hospitals," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 428-439, September.
- Nuo Wang & Christian Gericke & Huixin Sun, 2009. "Comparison of health care financing schemes before and after market reforms in China’s urban areas," Frontiers of Economics in China, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 173-191, June.
- Juergen Jung & Jialu Liu, 2011. "Does Health Insurance Decrease Health Expenditure Risk in Developing Countries? The Case of China," Working Papers 2011-04, Towson University, Department of Economics, revised Feb 2012.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Hoffmann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.