Rules of Origin and Strategic Choice of Compliance
AbstractWe consider exporters' strategic choice of whether to comply with rules of origin (ROO) in a free trade area (FTA). While the existing literature of ROO considers models of perfect or monopolistic competition, we consider an oligopolistic trade model. Our model consists of three final-good producers - one in an importing country and two in an exporting country - and one intermediategood producer, which is in the importing country and has monopoly power. We show that, within the range of parameter values for which some exporters comply with ROO, the content rate affects the output of the final-good producer in the importing country and the country's social welfare in an U-shaped fashion. The content rate levels that allow the coexistence of compliers and non-compliers minimize social welfare.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Graduate School of Economics, Kobe University in its series Discussion Papers with number 1013.
Date of creation: Sep 2010
Date of revision:
Rules of origin (ROO); Compliance; Free trade area (FTA);
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-10-02 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Markusen, James R. & Rutherford, Thomas F., 1996. "Trade policy subtleties with multinational firms," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(8), pages 1605-1627, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kimiaki Shirahama).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.