Testing for Predictability in a Noninvertible ARMA Model
AbstractWe develop likelihood-based tests for autocorrelation and predictability in a first order non-Gaussian and noninvertible ARMA model. Tests based on a special case of the general model, referred to as an all-pass model, are also obtained. Data generated by an all-pass process are uncorrelated but, in the non-Gaussian case, dependent and nonlinearly predictable. Therefore, in addition to autocorrelation the proposed tests can also be used to test for nonlinear predictability. This makes our tests different from their previous counterparts based on conventional invertible ARMA models. Unlike in the invertible case, our tests can also be derived by standard methods that lead to chi-squared or standard normal limiting distributions. A further convenience of the noninvertible ARMA model is that, to some extent, it can allow for conditional heteroskedasticity in the data which is useful when testing for predictability in economic and financial data. This is also illustrated by our empirical application to U.S. stock returns, where our tests indicate the presence of nonlinear predictability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum in its series Koç University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers with number 1225.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2012
Date of revision:
Non-Gaussian time series; noninvertible ARMA model; all-pass process.;
Other versions of this item:
- Lanne, Markku & Meitz, Mika & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2012. "Testing for predictability in a noninvertible ARMA model," MPRA Paper 37151, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- C58 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Financial Econometrics
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-09-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-ETS-2012-09-30 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-FOR-2012-09-30 (Forecasting)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Poterba, James M. & Summers, Lawrence H., 1988.
"Mean reversion in stock prices : Evidence and Implications,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 27-59, October.
- James M. Poterba & Lawrence H. Summers, 1987. "Mean Reversion in Stock Prices: Evidence and Implications," NBER Working Papers 2343, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rongning Wu & Richard A. Davis, 2010. "Least absolute deviation estimation for general autoregressive moving average time-series models," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(2), pages 98-112, 03.
- Nankervis, John C. & Savin, N. E., 2010. "Testing for Serial Correlation: Generalized Andrewsâ€“Ploberger Tests," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 28(2), pages 246-255.
- Taylor, Stephen J., 1982. "Tests of the Random Walk Hypothesis Against a Price-Trend Hypothesis," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(01), pages 37-61, March.
- Lanne, Markku & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2010.
"Noncausal autoregressions for economic time series,"
32943, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lanne Markku & Saikkonen Pentti, 2011. "Noncausal Autoregressions for Economic Time Series," Journal of Time Series Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 3(3), pages 1-32, October.
- Meitz, Mika & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2013.
"Maximum likelihood estimation of a noninvertible ARMA model with autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Multivariate Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 114(C), pages 227-255.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2012. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of a Noninvertible ARMA Model with Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity," KoÃ§ University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers 1226, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Robert B. Davies, 2002. "Hypothesis testing when a nuisance parameter is present only under the alternative: Linear model case," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(2), pages 484-489, June.
- Andrews, Beth & Davis, Richard A. & Jay Breidt, F., 2006. "Maximum likelihood estimation for all-pass time series models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 97(7), pages 1638-1659, August.
- Breid, F. Jay & Davis, Richard A. & Lh, Keh-Shin & Rosenblatt, Murray, 1991. "Maximum likelihood estimation for noncausal autoregressive processes," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 175-198, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sumru Oz).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.