Exploration and Exploitation - The Role of Entrepreneurship and R+D in the Process of Innovation
AbstractWe formulate a model that explicitly separates two functions in the innovation process: The introduction of new goods and the quality improvement of existing goods. While the latter is performed by the corporate R+D sector, the first is performed by entrepreneurs. We show that in a three sector economy, which also includes a producing sector, there exists a stable non trivial allocation of labor to production, innovation and entrepreneurship. We compute the steady state allocation of labor to production, R+D and Entrepreneurship. We show that the innovation rate decreases if one of the innovative sectors does not exist.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics in its series Jena Economic Research Papers with number 2007-108.
Date of creation: 20 Dec 2007
Date of revision:
Innovation; Variety Expansion; Quality Ladders; Entrepreneurship; R+D Sector.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- O41 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - One, Two, and Multisector Growth Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-01-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENT-2008-01-19 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-INO-2008-01-19 (Innovation)
- NEP-IPR-2008-01-19 (Intellectual Property Rights)
- NEP-MIC-2008-01-19 (Microeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- B. Robert, 2008. "Innovation and entrepreneurship: structural determinants of competitiveness," Economic Review, National Bank of Belgium, issue IV, pages 61-83, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Markus Pasche).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.