Cross-Sectional Heterogeneity in Price-Cost Margins and the Extent of Rent Sharing at the Sector and Firm Level in France
AbstractThis paper studies cross-sectional heterogeneity in price-cost margins and the extent of rent sharing among 48 sectors and 10738 (mainly manufacturing) firms in France. At the sectoral level, the average price-cost mark-up and the average extent of rent sharing amount to 1.701 and 0.368 respectively. Ignoring the occurrence of rent sharing reduces the average price-cost mark-up to 1.500. At the firm level, the average parameters are estimated at 1.814 and 0.558 respectively. Using the Swamy (1970) methodology which corrects the observed heterogeneity for sampling heterogeneity, the corresponding estimates of their robust true dispersion are 0.694 and 0.204. Excluding the existence of rent sharing brings the firm-level average price-cost mark-up down to 1.491. The corresponding robust true dispersion amounts to 0.493.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) in its series IZA Discussion Papers with number 1898.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- J50 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor-Management Relations, Trade Unions, and Collective Bargaining - - - General
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jacques Mairesse & Zvi Griliches, 1991. "Heterogeneity in Panel Data: Are There Stable Production Functions?," NBER Working Papers 2619, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dobbelaere, Sabien, 2004. "Estimation of price-cost margins and union bargaining power for Belgian manufacturing," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(10), pages 1381-1398, December.
- Hall, Robert E, 1988.
"The Relation between Price and Marginal Cost in U.S. Industry,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(5), pages 921-47, October.
- Robert E. Hall, 1988. "The Relation Between Price and Marginal Cost in U.S. Industry," NBER Working Papers 1785, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Damien J. Neven & Lars-Hendrik Röller & Zhentang Zhang, 2002. "Endogenous Costs and Price-Cost Margins," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 294, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Bughin, Jacques, 1996. "Trade Unions and Firms' Product Market Power," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 289-307, September.
- Boulhol, Hervé & Dobbelaere, Sabien & Maioli, Sara, 2006.
"Imports as Product and Labor Market Discipline,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2178, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- H. Boulhol & S. Dobbelaere & S. Maioli, 2007. "Imports as product and labour market discipline," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 07/479, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Herv� Boulhol & Sabien Dobbelaere & Sara Maioli, 2009. "Imports as Product and Labour Market Discipline," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 09-002/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Weber, Sascha A. & Anders, Sven, 2007.
"Price Rigidity and Market Power in German Retailing,"
31, Justus Liebig University Giessen, Center for international Development and Environmental Research (ZEU).
- Sascha A. Weber & Sven M. Anders, 2007. "Price rigidity and market power in German retailing," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(7), pages 737-749.
- Weber, Sascha A. & Anders, Sven, 2005. "Price Rigidity and Market Power in German Retailing," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24721, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Sina T. Ates & Felipe E. Saffie, 2013. "Project Heterogeneity and Growth: The Impact of Selection," PIER Working Paper Archive 13-011, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.