Idiosyncratic Shocks, Aggregate Fluctuations And The Representative Consumer
AbstractThis paper analyzes a complete market neoclassical economy with heterogeneous agents. Agents have addilog preferences and receive idiosyncratic labor productivity shocks. We show that at the aggregate level, such an economy behaves as if there was the representative consumer who faces shocks to preferences and technology. This fact enables us to infer time-series properties of the model without specifying a process for idiosyncratic shocks. Instead, we calibrate the process for shocks to preferences and technology in the model derived from aggregation. In contrast to the standard one-shock setup, the model with two types of shocks can generate the appropriate predictions with respect to labor markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie) in its series Working Papers. Serie AD with number 2001-07.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2001
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published by Ivie
Heterogeneous Agents; Idiosyncratic and Preference Shocks; Aggregation.;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Per Krusell & Anthony A. Smith & Jr., 1998.
"Income and Wealth Heterogeneity in the Macroeconomy,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(5), pages 867-896, October.
- Krusell, P & Smith Jr, A-A, 1995. "Income and Wealth Heterogeneity in the Macroeconomic," RCER Working Papers 399, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Per Krusell & Anthony A. Smith, Jr., . "Income and Wealth Heterogeneity in the Macroeconomy," GSIA Working Papers 1997-37, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Maliar, Lilia & Maliar, Serguei, 2001.
"Heterogeneity in capital and skills in a neoclassical stochastic growth model,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 25(9), pages 1367-1397, September.
- Lilia Maliar & Serguei Maliar, 1999. "- Heterogeneity In Capital And Skills In A Neoclassical Stochastic Growth Model," Working Papers. Serie AD 1999-21, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Albert Marcet & Guido Lorenzoni, 1998. "The Parameterized Expectations Approach: Some Practical Issues," QM&RBC Codes 128, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Teresa Garcia-Milà & Albert Marcet & Eva Ventura, 1995.
"Supply side interventions and redistribution,"
Economics Working Papers
115, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1982.
"Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1345-70, November.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Web interface for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4a, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Executable program for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Gary Hansen, 2010.
"Indivisible Labor and the Business Cycle,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
233, David K. Levine.
- Gomme, Paul & Greenwood, Jeremy, 1995.
"On the cyclical allocation of risk,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 91-124.
- Gomme, P. & Greenwood, J., 1993. "On the Cyclical Allocation of Risk," RCER Working Papers 355, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Paul Gomme & Jeremy Greenwood, 1992. "On the cyclical allocation of risk," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 71, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Gomme, P. & Greenwood, J., 1992. "On the Cyclical Allocation of Risk," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 9205, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Christiano, Lawrence J & Eichenbaum, Martin, 1992.
"Current Real-Business-Cycle Theories and Aggregate Labor-Market Fluctuations,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 82(3), pages 430-50, June.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum, 1990. "Current real business cycle theories and aggregate labor market fluctuations," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 24, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum, 1990. "Current real business cycle theories and aggregate labor market fluctuations," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 90, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Kydland, Finn E., 1984. "Labor-force heterogeneity and the business cycle," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 173-208, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.