Soglie Dimensionali e Regolazione del Rapporto di Lavoro in Italia
AbstractAmong the factors commonly addressed to explain the size structure of Italian firms, peculiarly characterised by a high number of small units, the existence of dimensional thresholds for many aspects of the Italian labour regulation has a key role. The paper overviews all labour rules, fixed by the Italian legislation or by main collective agreements, whose scope of application depends on dimensional thresholds. Items considered include: recruitment and hiring, union rights, individual and collective dismissals, non standard labour contracts, working hours and overtime, health and safety, education. The emerging summary shows a multiplicity of thresholds at different levels, which can vary in accordance to matters, sources of regulation, and sectors. Among these, the 15 employees threshold, although not exactly recognizable in statistical terms because of the variety and mutability of calculation’s criteria, represents an important line of demarcation between those firms where Union Rights are merely protected, and those where the Labour Chart – positively promoting them – is applied. This has relevant consequences for the strength of the juridical defence against unjustified dismissals and the diffusion of collective bargaining at the plant’s level. While the effects of the former from the employer viewpoint are clear, those concerning collective agreements at the plant’s level cannot be evaluated in general terms as negative or positive, as they depend on the balance between costs, made of likely higher than average wage increases, and benefits, due to productivity improvements enhanced by more flexible organisational arrangements.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY) in its series ISAE Working Papers with number 36.
Length: 48 pages
Date of creation: Nov 2003
Date of revision:
Firm Size; Employment; Labour Relations; Labour Regulations;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- K31 - Law and Economics - - Other Substantive Areas of Law - - - Labor Law
- M51 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Personnel Economics - - - Firm Employment Decisions; Promotions
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sergio de Nardis & Massimo Mancini & Carmine Pappalardo, 2003. "Regolazione del mercato del lavoro e crescita dimensionale delle imprese: Una verifica sull'effetto soglia dei 15 dipendenti," ISAE Working Papers 38, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Schivardi, Fabiano & Torrini, Roberto, 2008.
"Identifying the effects of firing restrictions through size-contingent differences in regulation,"
Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 482-511, June.
- Schivardi, Fabiano & Torrini, Roberto, 2005. "Identifying the Effects of Firing Restrictions Through Size-Contingent Differences in Regulation," CEPR Discussion Papers 5303, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Roberto Basile & Sergio de Nardis, 2004.
"Non linearità e dinamica della dimensione d'impresa in Italia,"
ISAE Working Papers
40, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Basile Roberto & de Nardis Sergio, 2004. "Non linearità e dinamica della dimensione d'impresa in Italia," Rivista italiana degli economisti, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 423-454.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stefania Rossetti).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.