Fairness, Search Frictions, and Offshoring
AbstractFairness considerations within the firm are introduced into the determination of wages in a two factor Pissarides-style model of search unemployment to study its implications for the unemployment rates of unskilled and skilled workers in both the closed economy case and when the economy can offshore some inputs. While the effect of a fair-wage constraint on unskilled workers takes the form of an increase in their wage and unemployment, we also OÌˆnd interesting effects on skilled workers in a closed economy. The skilled wage and skilled unemployment move in directions opposite to each other, with the actual direction of their movement depending on the elasticity of substitution between skilled and unskilled labor. The impact of offshoring of the services of unskilled labor on the unemployment of unskilled workers is stronger in the presence of fairness considerations than in the case when search frictions are the only source of unemployment. Finally, offshoring insulates the skilled labor market outcomes from fairness concerns that are present in a closed economy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of California-Irvine, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 121303.
Length: 39 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2012
Date of revision:
Fair wages; Unemployment; Overhiring effect; offshoring;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F16 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade and Labor Market Interactions
- F40 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - General
- E24 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomics: Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Employment; Unemployment; Wages; Intergenerational Income Distribution
- J64 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, and Vacancies - - - Unemployment: Models, Duration, Incidence, and Job Search
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-07-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-DGE-2012-07-23 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-LAB-2012-07-23 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oleg Itskhoki & Elhanan Helpman, 2008.
"Labor Market Rigidities, Trade and Unemployment,"
2008 Meeting Papers
690, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Helpman, Elhanan & Itskhoki, Oleg, 2009. "Labor Market Rigidities, Trade, and Unemployment," CEPR Discussion Papers 7502, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Elhanan Helpman & Oleg Itskhoki, 2007. "Labor Market Rigidities, Trade and Unemployment," NBER Working Papers 13365, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cahuc, Pierre & Marque, François & Wasmer, Etienne, 2004.
"A Theory of Wages and Labour Demand with Intra-firm Bargaining and Matching Frictions,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4605, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pierre Cahuc & Francois Marque & Etienne Wasmer, 2008. "A Theory Of Wages And Labor Demand With Intra-Firm Bargaining And Matching Frictions," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 49(3), pages 943-972, 08.
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Equilibrium Unemployment Theory, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262161877, June.
- Douglas Nelson, 1989. "The Political Economy Of Trade Policy," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(3), pages 301-314, November.
- Gabriel J. Felbermayr & Mario Larch & Wolfgang Lechthaler, 2013.
"Unemployment in an Interdependent World,"
American Economic Journal: Economic Policy,
American Economic Association, vol. 5(1), pages 262-301, February.
- Gabriel Felbermayr & Mario Larch & Wolfgang Lechthaler, 2009. "Unemployment in an Interdependent World," Kiel Working Papers 1540, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Wolfgang Lechthaler & Mario Larch & Gabriel Felbermayr, 2009. "Unemployment in an Interdependent World," 2009 Meeting Papers 596, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Felbermayr, Gabriel & Larch, Mario & Lechthaler, Wolfgang, 2009. "Unemployment in an interdependent world," FZID Discussion Papers 06-2009, University of Hohenheim, Center for Research on Innovation and Services (FZID).
- Gabriel J. Felbermayr & Mario Larch & Wolfgang Lechthaler, 2009. "Unemployment in an Interdependent World," CESifo Working Paper Series 2788, CESifo Group Munich.
- Elhanan Helpman & Oleg Itskhoki & Stephen Redding, 2008.
"Inequality and Unemployment in a Global Economy,"
NBER Working Papers
14478, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Helpman, Elhanan & Itskhoki, Oleg & Redding, Stephen J., 2009. "Inequality and Unemployment in a Global Economy," CEPR Discussion Papers 7353, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Elhanan Helpman & Oleg Itskhoki & Stephen Redding, 2009. "Inequality and Unemployment in a Global Economy," CEP Discussion Papers dp0940, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Felbermayr, Gabriel & Prat, Julien & Schmerer, Hans-Jörg, 2008.
"Globalization and Labor Market Outcomes: Wage Bargaining, Search Frictions, and Firm Heterogeneity,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3363, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Felbermayr, Gabriel & Prat, Julien & Schmerer, Hans-Jörg, 2011. "Globalization and labor market outcomes: Wage bargaining, search frictions, and firm heterogeneity," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 146(1), pages 39-73, January.
- Hartmut Egger & Udo Kreickemeier, 2009.
"Firm Heterogeneity And The Labor Market Effects Of Trade Liberalization,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 50(1), pages 187-216, 02.
- Hartmut Egger & Udo Kreickemeier, 2007. "Firm Heterogeneity and the Labour Market Effects of Trade Liberalisation," CESifo Working Paper Series 2000, CESifo Group Munich.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Fairness, Search Frictions, and Offshoring
by Christian Zimmermann in NEP-DGE blog on 2012-07-24 15:07:33
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gloria Simpson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.