Intertemporal equilibrium with production: bubbles and efficiency
AbstractWe consider a general equilibrium model with heterogeneous agents, borrowing constraints, and exogenous labor supply. First, the existence of intertemporal equi- librium is proved even if the aggregate capitals are not uniformly bounded above and the production functions are not time invariant. Second, (i) we call by physical capital bubble a situation in which the fundamental value of physical capital is lower than its price, (ii) we say that the interest rates are low if the sum of interest rates is finite. We show that physical capital bubble is equivalent to a situation with low interest rates. Last, we prove that with linear technologies, every intertemporal equilibrium is efficient. Moreover, there is a room for both efficiency and bubble.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Research, Ipag Business School in its series Working Papers with number 2014-306.
Length: 16 pages
Date of creation: 02 Jun 2014
Date of revision:
Intertemporal equilibrium; physical capital bubble; efficiency; infinite hori- zon.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C62 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Existence and Stability Conditions of Equilibrium
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- D91 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice - - - Intertemporal Household Choice; Life Cycle Models and Saving
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Becker, Robert A. & Mitra, Tapan, 2012.
"Efficient Ramsey Equilibria,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(S1), pages 18-32, April.
- Robert A. Becker & Tapan Mitra, 2011. "Efficient Ramsey Equilbria," Caepr Working Papers 2011-009, Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research, Economics Department, Indiana University Bloomington.
- Becker, Robert & Mitra, Tapan, 2011. "Efficient Ramsey Equilibria," Working Papers 11-02, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Mitra, Tapan & Ray, Debraj, 2012.
"On the Phelps–Koopmans theorem,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 147(2), pages 833-849.
- Ventura, Jaume, 2012. "Bubbles and capital flows," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 147(2), pages 738-758.
- Alberto Martin & Jaume Ventura, 2010.
"Economic Growth with Bubbles,"
NBER Working Papers
15870, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alberto Martin, 2010. "Economic Growth with Bubbles," 2010 Meeting Papers 788, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Martin, Alberto & Ventura, Jaume, 2010. "Economic Growth with Bubbles," CEPR Discussion Papers 7770, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alberto Martin & Jaume Ventura, 2003. "Economic growth with bubbles," Economics Working Papers 848, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Sep 2011.
- Jaume Ventura & Alberto Martin, 2010. "Economic Growth with Bubbles," Working Papers 445, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Cass, D & Yaari, M E, 1971. "Present Values Playing the Role of Efficiency Prices in the One-Good Growth Model," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(115), pages 331-39, July.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier & Martin Oehmke, 2012. "Bubbles, Financial Crises, and Systemic Risk," NBER Working Papers 18398, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bloise, Gaetano & Reichlin, Pietro, 2011.
"Asset prices, debt constraints and inefficiency,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 146(4), pages 1520-1546, July.
- Gaetano Bloise & Pietro Reichlin, 2008. "Asset Prices, Debt Constraints and Inefficiency," EIEF Working Papers Series 0803, Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF), revised Mar 2008.
- Gaetano Bloise & Pietro Reichlin, 2008. "Asset prices, debt constraints and inefficiency," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0089, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Bloise, Gaetano & Reichlin, Pietro, 2008. "Asset Prices, Debt Constraints and Inefficiency," CEPR Discussion Papers 6779, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cass, David, 1972. "On capital overaccumulation in the aggregative, neoclassical model of economic growth: A complete characterization," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 200-223, April.
- Timothy J. Kehoe & David K. Levine, 1992.
"Debt constrained asset markets,"
445, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Takashi Kamihigashi, 2002.
"A simple proof of the necessity of the transversality condition,"
Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 427-433.
- Takashi Kamihigashi, 2001. "A Simple Proof of the Necessity of the Transversality Condition," Discussion Paper Series 116, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Robert Becker & Stefano Bosi & Cuong Le Van & Thomas Seegmuller, 2014.
"On existence and bubbles of Ramsey equilibrium with borrowing constraints,"
2014-105, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Robert Becker & Stefano Bosi & Cuong Le Van & Thomas Seegmuller, 2013. "On Existence and Bubbles of Ramsey Equilibrium with Borrowing Constraints," Working Papers halshs-00793530, HAL.
- Robert Becker & Stefano Bosi & Cuong Le Van & Thomas Seegmuller, 2012. "On Existence and Bubbles of Ramsey Equilibrium with Borrowing Constraints," AMSE Working Papers 1231, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France, revised 11 Nov 2012.
- Antonio Doblas‐Madrid, 2012. "A Robust Model of Bubbles With Multidimensional Uncertainty," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 80(5), pages 1845-1893, 09.
- Tirole, Jean, 1982. "On the Possibility of Speculation under Rational Expectations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(5), pages 1163-81, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ingmar Schumacher).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.