Comparing Multidimensional Indices of Inequality: methods and application
AbstractThe paper provides an examination into the measures of multidimensional inequality proposed in the past few years, their properties and majorization criteria. It offers a generalisation of Bourguignon index proposed so that it includes Tsui measures (1999) while preserving the virtues of Maasoumi’s method (1986) of explicitly acknowledging the role of parameters relevant of multivariate settings. An application to the Argentine data is provided to illustrate the decisions involved in the process of applying these measures and the usefulness of having appropriate criteria for the choice.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality in its series Working Papers with number 14.
Length: 29 pages
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Inequalities; Multidimensional Distributions; Well-being; Multivariate indices.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D30 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - General
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- I10 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - General
- I21 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Analysis of Education
- I31 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - General Welfare, Well-Being
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
- O15 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Economic Development: Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration
- O54 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Latin America; Caribbean
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-12-20 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Boniface Ngah Epo & Francis Menjo Baye & Nadine Teme Angele Manga, 2011. "Spatial and Inter-temporal Sources of Poverty, Inequality and Gender Disparities in Cameroon: a Regression-Based Decomposition Analysis," Working Papers PMMA 2011-15, PEP-PMMA.
- Abdelkrim Araar, 2009. "The Hybrid Multidimensional Index of Inequality," Cahiers de recherche 0945, CIRPEE.
- Brad, Anca Maria, 2012. "The impact of tax policy on the welfare state," MPRA Paper 40347, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Maria Ana Lugo, 2008.
"Multidimensional Poverty Measures from an Information Theory Perspective,"
OPHI Working Papers
ophiwp011, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Maria Ana Lugo & Esfandiar Maasoumi, 2008. "Multidimensional Poverty Measures from an Information Theory Perspective," Working Papers 85, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Stefanescu, Stefan V., 2011. "About the Accuracy of Gini Index for Measuring the Poverty," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(3), pages 255-266, September.
- Andrea Brandolini, 2008. "On applying synthetic indices of multidimensional well-being: health and income inequalities in selected EU countries," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 668, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria Ana Lugo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.