Zur Entwicklung der Sparquoten der privaten Haushalte - eine Auswertung von Haushaltsdaten des SOEP
AbstractAccording to the National Accounts the German savings rate has increased continuously since 2001 after it fell continuously from 1991. This increase was rather unexpected and hence it is interesting to analyse whether the savings rate of the total population has increased or whether the increase in the aggregated savings rate has been due to the fact that the savings behaviour of certain socio-economic groups developed differently during the last decade. For this project data from the German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP) is used for the years 1995 to 2007. The analysis of household's savings rates differentiated according to socio-economic charac-teristics shows, that the savings rates develop differently depending on the respective house-holder's labour market status. The examination of savings rates of different age groups does not provide conclusive results. Finally, the increase in the aggregate savings rate is attributed alone to the changed savings behaviour of the households in the top quartile of the income distribution whereas the savings rates of the other quartiles tend to have declined
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute in its series IMK Working Paper with number 10-2009.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Sparquoten; Haushalte; Sozioökonomische Gruppen; SOEP;
Other versions of this item:
- Ulrike Stein, 2009. "Zur Entwicklung der Sparquoten der privaten Haushalte: eine Auswertung von Haushaltsdaten des SOEP," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 249, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- E21 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Consumption; Saving; Wealth
- H31 - Public Economics - - Fiscal Policies and Behavior of Economic Agents - - - Household
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Engelbert Stockhammer, 2011. "Polarisierung der Einkommensverteilung als strukturelle Ursache der gegenwärtigen Finanz- und Wirtschaftskrise," Wirtschaft und Gesellschaft - WuG, Kammer für Arbeiter und Angestellte für Wien, Abteilung Wirtschaftswissenschaft und Statistik, vol. 37(3), pages 378-402.
- Marcus Klemm, 2012. "Job Security Perceptions and the Saving Behavior of German Households," Ruhr Economic Papers 0380, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Markus Marterbauer, 2010. "Budget Policy in an Age of Reduced Expectations," WIFO Working Papers 366, WIFO.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Nemitz).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.