From Supervision to Resolution: Next Steps on the Road to European Banking Union
AbstractSpecial resolution regimes for banks and systemically important financial institutions are an attractive alternative to both insolvency and public bailouts and have a compelling track record. The European Council has outlined a policy sequence of three successive steps including the Single Supervisory Mechanism (SSM), the Bank Recovery and Resolution (BRR) Directive and the operational framework for direct recapitalizations, and the Single Resolution Mechanism (SRM). Implementing this sequence will involve a complex balancing of short-term, medium-term, and long-term objectives. The creation of the SRM will be a key milestone and should take place as early as possible.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Peterson Institute for International Economics in its series Policy Briefs with number PB13-5.
Date of creation: Feb 2013
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Nicolas VÃ©ron & Guntram B. Wolff, 2013. "From supervision to resolution: next steps on the road to European banking union," Policy Contributions 771, Bruegel.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adam S. Posen & Nicolas Veron, 2009.
"A Solution for Europe's Banking Problem,"
PB09-13, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Rishi Goyal & Petya Koeva Brooks & Mahmood Pradhan & Thierry Tressel & Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Ceyla Pazarbasioglu, 2013. "A Banking Union for the Euro Area," IMF Staff Discussion Notes 13/01, International Monetary Fund.
- Guntram B. Wolff, 2011. "The Euro area's macroeconomic balancing act," Policy Contributions 555, Bruegel.
- Trichet, Jean-Claude, 2013. "International policy coordination in the Euro area: Toward an economic and fiscal federation by exception," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 473-481.
- Jörg Bibow, 2013. "Lost at Sea: The Euro Needs a Euro Treasury," IMK Studies 35-2013, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- Jorg Bibow, 2013. "Lost at Sea: The Euro Needs a Euro Treasury," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_780, Levy Economics Institute.
- Edwin M. Truman, 2013. "Asian and European Financial Crises Compared," Working Paper Series WP13-9, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peterson Institute webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.