The fiscal implications of a banking union
AbstractSystemic banking crises are a threat to all countries whatever their development level. They can entail major fiscal costs that can undermine the sustainability of public finances. More than anywhere else, however, a number of euro-area countries have been affected by a lethal negative feedback loop between banking and sovereign risk, followed by disintegration of the financial system, real economic fragmentation and the exposure of the European Central Bank. Recognising the systemic dimension of the problem, the Euro-Area Summit of June 2012 called for the creation of a banking union with common supervision and the possibility for the European Stability Mechanism to recapitalise banks directly. The findings of this paper were presented at the Informal ECOFIN in Nicosia on 14 September 2012.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bruegel in its series Policy Briefs with number 748.
Date of creation: Sep 2012
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-09-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2012-09-22 (Banking)
- NEP-CBA-2012-09-22 (Central Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2012-09-22 (European Economics)
- NEP-MON-2012-09-22 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-OPM-2012-09-22 (Open Economy Macroeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Zsolt Darvas & Guntram B. Wolff, 2013.
"Should Non-Euro Area Countries Join the Single Supervisory Mechanism?,"
DANUBE: Law and Economics Review,
European Association Comenius - EACO, issue 2, pages 141-163, June.
- Zsolt Darvas & Guntram B. Wolff, 2013. "Should non-euro area countries join the single supervisory mechanism?," Working Papers 1305, Department of Mathematical Economics and Economic Analysis, Corvinus University of Budapest.
- Zsolt Darvas & Guntram B. Wolff, 2013. "Should non-euro area countries join the single supervisory mechanism?," Policy Contributions 773, Bruegel.
- Zsolt Darvas & Guntram B. Wolff, 2013. "Should Non-Euro Area Countries Join the Single Supervisory Mechanism?," IEHAS Discussion Papers 1323, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Pisani-Ferry, Jean, 2013. "The known unknowns and unknown unknowns of European Monetary Union," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 6-14.
- Gros, Daniel, 2013. "Principles of a Two-Tier European Deposit (Re-)Insurance System," CEPS Papers 7958, Centre for European Policy Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruegel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.