Freedom-Based Measurement of Living Standard
AbstractThis paper contrasts conventional real GDP and price indicators of individual living standard, interpreted as revealing information on individual welfare, with others, that aim at reflecting individual freedom. It is argued that freedom-based indices are easier to use and interpret than traditional real GDPones. Illustrations of the differences between the two classes of indices are provided for international comparisons, as well as for the evaluation of growth and inflation in France.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institut d'economie publique (IDEP), Marseille, France in its series IDEP Working Papers with number 0808.
Length: 44 pages
Date of creation: Nov 2008
Date of revision: Nov 2008
Other versions of this item:
- NEP-ALL-2009-01-03 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yongsheng Xu, 2004. "On ranking linear budget sets in terms of freedom of choice," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 281-289, 02.
- Deschamps, Robert & Gevers, Louis, 1978. "Leximin and utilitarian rules: A joint characterization," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 143-163, April.
- Sen, Amartya, 1988. "Freedom of choice : Concept and content," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(2-3), pages 269-294, March.
- Candeal, J. C. & Indurain, E., 1995. "Homothetic and weakly homothetic preferences," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 147-158.
- Sen, Amartya, 1991. "Welfare, preference and freedom," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1-2), pages 15-29, October.
- Vincent Merlin & Marc Fleurbaey & Dominique Lepelley, 2012.
"Introduction to the special issue on new developments in social choice and welfare theories,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 39(2), pages 253-257, July.
- Marc FLEURBAEY & Dominique LEPELLEY & Vincent MERLIN, 2011. "Introduction to the Special Issue on New Developments in Social Choice and Welfare Theories," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 101-102, pages 7-12.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yves Doazan) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Yves Doazan to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.