Efficiency Gains and Cost Reductions from Individual Transferable Quotas: A Stochastic Cost Frontier for
AbstractIn this paper efficiency gains and associated cost reductions from increases in traded quota are estimated with a stochastic cost frontier for the Australian South East Trawl Fishery (SETF). Estimation of this frontier also provides key information on the relative importance of input costs in the SETF, returns to scale, variations in costs as a result of trade in quota and the economic performance of each fishing vessel, year to year. Final estimations indicate that increases in the volume of quota traded have resulted in considerable efficiency gains and cost reductions in the SETF, ranging from 1.8 to 3.5 cents per kilogram for surveyed vessels for every one per cent increase in the volume of quota traded, or 1 to 2.4 per cent of total variable costs, with considerable gains also accruing to crew and skipper in the form of larger share payments. Mean vessel efficiency is relatively high in the SETF, estimated at over 90 per cent, and increases further to 92 per cent over the sample period with increased trades in quota.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International and Development Economics in its series International and Development Economics Working Papers with number idec03-6.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Crawford Building, Lennox Crossing, Building #132, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: https://crawford.anu.edu.au/research/papers/
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q22 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Fishery
- Q28 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Government Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-12-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENV-2004-12-12 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-SEA-2004-12-12 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:ags:mareec:28302 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kodde, David A & Palm, Franz C, 1986. "Wald Criteria for Jointly Testing Equality and Inequality Restriction s," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(5), pages 1243-48, September.
- Forsund, Finn R. & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1980. "A survey of frontier production functions and of their relationship to efficiency measurement," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 5-25, May.
- Quinn Weninger, 1998.
"Assessing Efficiency Gains from Individual Transferable Quotas: An Application to the Mid-Atlantic Surf Clam and Ocean Quahog Fishery,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(4), pages 750-764.
- Weninger, Quinn, 1998. "Assessing Efficiency Gains From Individual Transferable Quotas: An Application to the Mid-Atlantic Surf Clam and Ocean Quahog Fishery," Staff General Research Papers 5065, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Grafton, R.Q. & Squires, D. & Fox, K.J., 1998.
"Private Property and Economic Efficiency: A Study of a Common-Pool Resource,"
9804e, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Grafton, R Quentin & Squires, Dale & Fox, Kevin J, 2000. "Private Property and Economic Efficiency: A Study of a Common-Pool Resource," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(2), pages 679-713, October.
- H. F. Campbell & R. K. Lindner, 1990. "The Production of Fishing Effort and the Economic Performance of Licence Limitation Programs," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 66(1), pages 56-66.
- repec:ags:mareec:48882 is not listed on IDEAS
- Arne Bigsten & Stuart Corbridge & J. Thomas Lindblad & Scott McDonald & Tony Addison & Anthony Payne & Robin Mearns & John Thoburn & Clem Tisdell & Tony Barnett & Mike Shepperdson, 1997.
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(6), pages 874-892.
- David Gellner & Donald Curtis & Michael Parnwell & Lyla Mehta & James Copestake & Clement Tisdell & Mike Shepperdson & Thapelo Clayton Matsheka, 1999. "Book reviews," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(4), pages 201-215.
- Randall, Alan & Tisdell, Clement A. & Trewin, Ray & Singh, Satbir & Simmons, Phil & Adams, Philip D. & Loane, Bill, 1999. "Book reviews," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 43(1), March.
- Battese, George E. & Coelli, Tim J., 1988. "Prediction of firm-level technical efficiencies with a generalized frontier production function and panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 387-399, July.
- Kalirajan, K P & Obwona, M B, 1994. "Frontier Production Function: The Stochastic Coefficients Approach," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 56(1), pages 87-96, February.
- Schmidt, Peter & Knox Lovell, C. A., 1979. "Estimating technical and allocative inefficiency relative to stochastic production and cost frontiers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 343-366, February.
- Stevenson, Rodney E., 1980. "Likelihood functions for generalized stochastic frontier estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 57-66, May.
- Keisaku Higashida & Kenta Tanaka & Shunsuke Managi, 2011. "Is the behavior of fishers rational under Individual Transferable Quotas (ITQs) regimes? An Experimental Approach," Discussion Paper Series 73, School of Economics, Kwansei Gakuin University, revised Aug 2011.
- Felthoven, Ronald G. & Horrace, William C. & Schnier, Kurt E., 2006. "Estimating Heterogeneous Primal Capacity and Capacity Utilization Measures in a Multi-Species Fishery," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21276, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Blane Lewis, 2006. "Local government taxation: An analysis of administrative cost inefficiency," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(2), pages 213-233.
- Nazneen K. Chowdhury & Tom Kompas & Kaliappa Kalirajan, 2010. "Impact of control measures in fisheries management: evidence from Bangladesh's industrial trawl fishery," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 30(1), pages 765-773.
- Ronald Felthoven & William Horrace & Kurt Schnier, 2009.
"Estimating heterogeneous capacity and capacity utilization in a multi-species fishery,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 173-189, December.
- Ronald G. Felthovan & William C. Horrace & Kurt E. Schnier, 2006. "Estimating Heterogeneous Capacity and Capacity Utilization in a Multi-Species Fishery," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 86, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Sanchirico, James & Holland, Daniel & Quigley, Kathryn & Fina, Mark, 2005. "Analysis of Flexibility Mechanisms for Quota-Catch Balancing in Multispecies Individual Fishing Quotas," Discussion Papers dp-05-54, Resources For the Future.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.