Institutional Arrangements to Determine Loan Repayment in Chile
AbstractThe major objective of this paper is to investigate institutional arrangements as a determinant of loan repayment in the Chilean financial market. A second aim is to analyze the effects of these arrangements on borrowers’ behavior. Although La Porta et al. (1997, 1998) classify Chile as a French Civil Law country, the law and private arrangements have evolved consistently with the capital market development to protect the rights of the creditors. This is consistent with relatively low rates of bad loans, ranking from 1. 1 to 2. 0 percent in 1993-1997. We examine different variables which may be related to loan repayment: (a) limitations on the access to credit, (b) macroeconomic stability, (c) collection technology, (d) bankruptcy code, (e) information sharing, (f) the judicial system, (g) prescreening techniques and (h) major changes in financial market regulation. Based on the discussion presented in the paper plus regression analyses, we conclude that a satisfactory performance of the Chilean credit market, in terms of loan repayments and credit market development, hinges on a good information sharing system, an advanced collection technology, a good macroeconomic performance, credit market development and major changes in financial market regulation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department in its series Research Department Publications with number 3073.
Date of creation: Sep 1999
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cole, Rebel A., 1998. "The importance of relationships to the availability of credit," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 959-977, August.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1998.
"Law and Finance,"
3451310, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1768, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," NBER Working Papers 5661, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lummer, Scott L. & McConnell, John J., 1989. "Further evidence on the bank lending process and the capital-market response to bank loan agreements," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 99-122, November.
- Padilla, A Jorge & Pagano, Marco, 1997.
"Endogenous Communication among Lenders and Entrepreneurial Incentives,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(1), pages 205-36.
- Padilla, A.J. & Pagano, M., 1994. "Endogenous Communication Among Lenders and Entrepreneurial Incentives," Papers 9407, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Padilla, Atilano Jorge & Pagano, Marco, 1996. "Endogenous Communication Among Lenders and Entrepreneurial Incentives," CEPR Discussion Papers 1295, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Altman, Edward I, 1984. " A Further Empirical Investigation of the Bankruptcy Cost Question," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1067-89, September.
- Avery, Robert B. & Bostic, Raphael W. & Samolyk, Katherine A., 1998. "The role of personal wealth in small business finance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 1019-1061, August.
- Tullio Jappelli & Marco Pagano, 1999. "Information Sharing in Credit Markets: International Evidence," Research Department Publications 3069, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Myers, Stewart C., 1977. "Determinants of corporate borrowing," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 147-175, November.
- James, Christopher, 1987. "Some evidence on the uniqueness of bank loans," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 217-235, December.
- Pagano, Marco & Jappelli, Tullio, 1993.
" Information Sharing in Credit Markets,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1693-1718, December.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1997.
"Legal Determinants of External Finance,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1788, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- RAFAEL LaPORTA & FLORENCIO LOPEZ-de-SILANES & ANDREI SHLEIFER & ROBERT W. VISHNY, . "Legal Determinants of External Finance,"," CRSP working papers 324, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1997. "Legal Determinants of External Finance," NBER Working Papers 5879, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diamond, Douglas W, 1984. "Financial Intermediation and Delegated Monitoring," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(3), pages 393-414, July.
- Julian R. Franks & Kjell G. Nyborg & Walter N. Torous, 1996. "A Comparison of UK, US and German Insolvency Codes," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 25(3), Fall.
- Benston, George J & Smith, Clifford W, Jr, 1976. "A Transactions Cost Approach to the Theory of Financial Intermediation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(2), pages 215-31, May.
- Smith, Clifford Jr. & Warner, Jerold B., 1979. "On financial contracting : An analysis of bond covenants," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 117-161, June.
- Galarza, Francisco, 2003.
"El crédito solidario, el colateral social, y la colusión. Algunos apuntes
[Group Lending, Social Collateral and Collusion. Some Notes]," MPRA Paper 30442, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luis Daniel Martinez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.