The harmonization of indirect taxes in the Andean Community
AbstractThe approval of Decisions 599 and 600 on the Harmonization of Substantial and Procedural Aspects of Value Added Taxes and the Harmonization of Excise Type Taxes (VAT and selective taxes) by the Commission of the Andean Community is a notable victory for the Andean integration process and sets a precedent in the developing world. The Decisions amount to an agreement on how to design national laws on a modern and administratively coordinated VAT, as well as joint rules on excise taxes. These accords sprang from the political will of the Andean authorities working in this field, the countries' technical capacities, and the catalyzing role played by the political authority of the Andean Community's General Secretariat (GS), which received technical support from the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB). Representatives of the five member countries' Finance Ministries and Taxation Directorates participated actively and enthusiastically in these efforts. The process began with a background study commissioned using funds from an IDB regional technical cooperation project, followed by three negotiating rounds and eight meetings of experts and officials organized by the GS (With the financial and technical support of the IDB through the Special Initiative on Trade and Integration)
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Inter-American Development Bank, INTAL in its series INTAL Working Papers with number 2820.
Length: 39 p.
Date of creation: Feb 2005
Date of revision:
COMUNIDAD ANDINA; CAN; IMPUESTOS; IMPUESTO AL VALOR AGREGADO;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F53 - International Economics - - International Relations and International Political Economy - - - International Agreements and Observance; International Organizations
- E00 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General - - - General
- H2 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engel, Eduardo M. R. A. & Galetovic, Alexander & Raddatz, Claudio E., 1999.
"Taxes and income distribution in Chile: some unpleasant redistributive arithmetic,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 155-192, June.
- Eduardo M.R.A. Engel & Alexander Galetovic & Claudio E. Raddatz, 1998. "Taxes and Income Distribution in Chile: Some Unpleasant Redistributive Arithmetic," NBER Working Papers 6828, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eduardo Engel & Alexander Galetovic & Claudio Raddatz, 1998. "Taxes and Income Distribution in Chile: Some Unpleasant Redistributive Arithmetic," Documentos de Trabajo 41, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Herminio Blanco M. & Sergio Gómez Lora, 2004. "A Key to Hemispheric Integration," IDB Publications 8285, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Robert Devlin & Ricardo Ffrench-Davis, 1999.
"Towards an Evaluation of Regional Integration in Latin America in the 1990s,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(2), pages 261-290, 03.
- Robert Devlin & Ricardo French-Davis, 1998. "Towards an Evaluation of Regional Integration in Latin America in the 1990s," IDB Publications 9344, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Mauricio Mesquita Moreira, 2004.
"Brazil's Trade Liberalization and Growth: Has it Failed?,"
8336, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Mauricio Mesquita Moreira, 2004. "Brazil’s Trade Liberalization and Growth: Has it Failed?," International Trade 0412008, EconWPA.
- Esteradeordal, Antoni & Goto, Junichi, 2001. "The New Regionalism in the Americas: The Case of Mercosur," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 16, pages 180-202.
- Julio J. Nogués, 2004.
"Agricultural Exporters in a Protectionist World: Review and Policy Implications of Barriers Against Mercosur,"
9386, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Julio J. Nogues, 2005. "Agricultural Exporters in a Protectionist World: Review and Policy Implications of Barriers Against Mercosur," International Trade 0502002, EconWPA.
- Elsnit, 2006. "Third Annual Conference of the Euro-Latin Study Network on Integration and Trade, ELSNIT : Issues papers," INTAL Working Papers 2416, Inter-American Development Bank, INTAL.
- Marcos Sawaya Jank & Shunli Yao & Colin A. Carter & Mario Queiroz de Monteiro Jales, 2006.
"Agriculture in Brazil and China: Challenges and Opportunities,"
8301, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Mario Jales & Marcos Sawaya Jank & Shunli Yao & Colin Carter, 2006. "Agriculture in Brazil and China : challenges and opportunities," INTAL Working Papers 1296, Inter-American Development Bank, INTAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luis Daniel Martinez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.