Estimation with the Nested Logit Model: Specifications and Software Particularities
AbstractDue to its ability to allow and account for similarities betweenpairs of alternatives, the nested logit model is increasingly used in practical applications. However the fact that there are two different specifications of the nested logit model has not received adequate attention. The utility maximization nested logit (UMNL) model and the non-normalized nested logit (NNNL) model have different properties, influencing the estimation results in a different manner. As the NNNL specification is not consistent with random utility theory (RUT), the UMNL form is preferred. This article introduces distinct specifications of the nested logit model and indicates particularities arising from model estimation. Additionally, it demonstrates the performance ofsimulation studies with the nested logit model. In simulation studies with the nested logit model using NNNL software (e. g. PROC MDC in SAS(c) ), it must be pointed out that the simulation of the utility function´s error terms needs to assume RUT-conformity. But as the NNNL specification is not consistent with RUT, the input parameters cannot be reproduced without imposing restrictions. The effects of using various software packages on the estimation results of a nested logit model are shown on the basis of a simulation study.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany in its series SFB 649 Discussion Papers with number SFB649DP2006-017.
Length: 35 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2006
Date of revision:
nested logit model; utility maximization nested logit; non-normalized nested logit; simulation study;
Other versions of this item:
- Nadja Silberhorn & Yasemin Boztug & Lutz Hildebrandt, 2007. "Estimation with the Nested Logit Model: Specifications and Software Particularities," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2007-046, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- C87 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - Econometric Software
- M31 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Marketing and Advertising - - - Marketing
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-03-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-DCM-2006-03-11 (Discrete Choice Models)
- NEP-ECM-2006-03-11 (Econometrics)
- NEP-UPT-2006-03-11 (Utility Models & Prospect Theory)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Philip H. Brown & Caroline Theoharides, 2009. "Health‐seeking behavior and hospital choice in China's New Cooperative Medical System," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(S2), pages S47-S64, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RDC-Team).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.