Robust Utility Maximization in a Stochastic Factor Model
AbstractWe give an explicit PDE characterization for the solution of a robust utility maximization problem in an incomplete market model, whose volatility, interest rate process, and long-term trend are driven by an external stochastic factor process. The robust utility functional is defined in terms of a HARA utility function with negative risk aversion and a dynamically consistent coherent risk measure, which allows for model uncertainty in the distributions of both the asset price dynamics and the factor process. Our method combines two recent advances in the theory of optimal investments: the general duality theory for robust utility maximization and the stochastic control approach to the dual problem of determining optimal martingale measures.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany in its series SFB 649 Discussion Papers with number SFB649DP2006-007.
Length: 18 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2005
Date of revision: Aug 2006
optimal investment; model uncertainty; incomplete markets; stochastic volatility; coherent risk measures; optimal control; convex duality;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-02-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-FIN-2006-02-12 (Finance)
- NEP-UPT-2006-02-12 (Utility Models & Prospect Theory)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alexander Schied & Ching-Tang Wu, 2005. "Duality theory for optimal investments under model uncertainty," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2005-025, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany, revised Sep 2005.
- Alexander Schied, 2005. "Optimal Investments for Risk- and Ambiguity-Averse Preferences: A Duality Approach," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2005-051, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany, revised Aug 2006.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- Thomas J. Sargent & LarsPeter Hansen, 2001. "Robust Control and Model Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 60-66, May.
- Larry G. Epstein & Martin Schneider, 2001.
RCER Working Papers
485, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Daniel Hernández-Hernández & Alexander Schied, 2007. "Robust Maximization of Consumption with Logarithmic Utility," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2007-030, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Alexander Schied, 2007. "Robust Optimal Control for a Consumption-investment Problem," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2007-026, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Thomas Knispel, 2012. "Asymptotics of robust utility maximization," Papers 1203.1191, arXiv.org.
- Keita Owari, 2010.
"Robust Exponential Hedging And Indifference Valuation,"
International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF),
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 13(07), pages 1075-1101.
- Owari, Keita, 2008. "Robust Exponential Hedging and Indifference Valuation," Discussion Papers 2008-09, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- Keita Owari, 2009. "Robust Exponential Hedging in a Brownian Setting," Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series gd09-082, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Daniel Hernandez–Hernandez & Alexander Schied, 2006. "A Control Approach to Robust Utility Maximization with Logarithmic Utility and Time-Consistent Penalties," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2006-061, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Alexander Schied, 2007. "Optimal investments for risk- and ambiguity-averse preferences: a duality approach," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 107-129, January.
- Wiebke Wittmüß, 2006. "Robust Optimization of Consumption with Random Endowment," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2006-063, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RDC-Team).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.