Riskiness for sets of gambles
AbstractAumann--Serrano (2008) and Foster--Hart (2009) suggest two new riskiness measures, each of which enables one to elicit a complete and objective ranking of gambles according to their riskiness. Hart (2011) shows that both measures can be obtained by looking at a large set of utility functions and applying "uniform rejection criteria" to rank the gambles in accordance with this set of utilities. We use the same "uniform rejection criteria" to extend these two riskiness measures to the realm of uncertainty and develop complete and objective rankings of sets of gambles, which arise naturally in models of decision making under uncertainty.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Center for the Study of Rationality, Hebrew University, Jerusalem in its series Discussion Paper Series with number dp603.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2012
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-04-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-MIC-2012-04-10 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-UPT-2012-04-10 (Utility Models & Prospect Theory)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thibault Gajdos & Takashi Hayashi & Jean-Marc Tallon & Jean-Christophe Vergnaud, 2006.
"Attitude toward imprecise information,"
Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques
v06081, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Thibault Gajdos & Takashi Hayashi & Jean-Marc Tallon & Jean-Christophe Vergnaud, 2008. "Attitude toward imprecise information," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00451982, HAL.
- Thibault Gajdos & Takashi Hayashi & Jean-Marc Tallon & Jean-Christophe Vergnaud, 2006. "Attitude toward imprecise information," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00130179, HAL.
- Wojciech Olszewski, 2007. "Preferences Over Sets of Lotteries -super-1," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 74(2), pages 567-595.
- repec:bla:restud:v:74:y:2007:i:2:p:567-595 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jörg Stoye, 2011. "Statistical decisions under ambiguity," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 70(2), pages 129-148, February.
- Sergiu Hart, 2010.
"Comparing Risks by Acceptance and Rejection,"
Discussion Paper Series
dp531, The Center for the Study of Rationality, Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- Amnon Schreiber, 2012. "An Economic Index of Relative Riskiness," Discussion Paper Series dp597, The Center for the Study of Rationality, Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilan Nehama).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.