The Advertiser is Mentioned Twice. Media Bias in Belgian Newspapers
AbstractDo newspapers write more about their advertisers? We try to answer this question on two levels. In our theoretical model, we show that the answer is yes, if readers do not mind bias too much and if bias is relatively effective for advertisers. In an empirical study, we find that advertisers in Belgian Dutch-language newspapers receive a significantly higher coverage.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management in its series Working Papers with number 2012/05.
Length: 30 page
Date of creation: Jan 2012
Date of revision:
advertising; advertising bias; commercial bias; media bias; newspapers;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-04-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-CUL-2012-04-23 (Cultural Economics)
- NEP-MKT-2012-04-23 (Marketing)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fabrizio Germano & Martin Meier, 2010.
"Concentration and self-censorship in commercial media,"
Economics Working Papers
1256, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Germano, Fabrizio & Meier, Martin, 2013. "Concentration and self-censorship in commercial media," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(C), pages 117-130.
- Fabrizio Germano & Martin Meier, 2011. "Concentration and Self-Censorship in Commercial Media," Working Papers 527, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Fabrizio Germano & Martin Meier, 2010. "Concentration and self-censorship in commercial media," Discussion Papers 1518, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- De Smet, Dries & Vanormelingen, Stijn, 2011. "Advertiser Pressure on Newspaper Journalists: A Survey," Working Papers 2011/37, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Janssens).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.