Advertiser Pressure on Newspaper Journalists: A Survey
AbstractWe conduct a survey among Belgian newspaper journalists to check whether advertisers are putting pressure to steer newspaper content, either directly or indirectly and whether they succeed in doing so. The results indicate that 35 per cent of Belgian journalists are experiencing some pressure of advertisers. However, journalists can to a large extent withstand this pressure, especially if coming directly from advertisers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management in its series Working Papers with number 2011/37.
Length: 1 page
Date of creation: Dec 2011
Date of revision:
advertising; advertising pressure; media bias; survey; newspapers;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L2 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior
- L82 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Entertainment; Media
- M37 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Marketing and Advertising - - - Advertising
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-02-01 (All new papers)
- NEP-CUL-2012-02-01 (Cultural Economics)
- NEP-HME-2012-02-01 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
- NEP-IND-2012-02-01 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-MKT-2012-02-01 (Marketing)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- De Smet, Dries & Vanormelingen, Stijn, 2012. "The Advertiser is Mentioned Twice. Media Bias in Belgian Newspapers," Working Papers 2012/05, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- Matthew Ellman & Fabrizio Germano, 2009. "What do the Papers Sell? A Model of Advertising and Media Bias," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(537), pages 680-704, 04.
- Jonathan Reuter & Eric Zitzewitz, 2005.
"Do Ads Influence Editors? Advertising and Bias in the Financial Media,"
- Jonathan Reuter & Eric Zitzewitz, 2006. "Do ADS Influence Editors? Advertising and Bias in the Financial Media," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 121(1), pages 197-227, 02.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Janssens).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.