An International Comparison of the TFP Levels of Japanese, Korean and Cinese Listed Firms
AbstractThe study group on the Creation of a Productivity Database on Japanese, Chinese, and South Korean Firms at the Japan Center for Economic Research (JCER), in conjunction with the Center for Economic Institutions (CEI) of Hitotsubashi University, the Center for China and Asian Studies (CCAS) of Nippon University, and the Center for Corporate Competitiveness of Seoul National University, has compiled the East Asian Listed Companies Database 2007 (EALC 2007). In this paper, we explain the methodology and data sources used in the construction of the EALC 2007. We also conduct some descriptive analysis based on the EALC 2007. To compare the TFP level of firms in these countries, we first estimated the TFP of firms in each country using the method of Good, Nadiri and Sickles (1997). Then we estimated the relative TFP by industry in the benchmark year using Japanese industries as benchmarks and combined the estimated TFP of firms. When estimating relative TFP by industry for Korea and China, we applied the industry-level price estimates of the three countries from the ICPA project and converted industry outputs and inputs into the same currency unit (Japanese Yen). The estimation results obtained indicate that the productivity of Japanese firms is still higher than that of their Chinese and Korean counterparts but that the productivity of Korean firms is rapidly increasing, with the emergence of some firms that are now overtaking their Japanese rivals in terms of productivity, particularly in the electric machinery sector.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University in its series Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series with number d07-244.
Date of creation: Mar 2008
Date of revision:
Total Factor Productivity; International Comparison; Competitiveness;
Other versions of this item:
- Fukao, Kyoji & Inui, Tomohiko & Kabe, Shigesaburo & Liu, Deqiang, 2008. "An International Comparison of the TFP Levels of Japanese, Korean and Chinese Listed Firms," CEI Working Paper Series 2007-13, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Flora BELLONE & KIYOTA Kozo & MATSUURA Toshiyuki & Patrick MUSSO & Lionel NESTA, 2013.
"International Productivity Gaps and the Export Status of Firms: Evidence from France and Japan,"
13011, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Flora Bellone & Kozo Kiyota & Toshiyuki Matsuura & Patrick Musso & Lionel Nesta, 2012. "International Productivity Gaps and the Export Status of Firms: Evidence from France and Japan," GREDEG Working Papers 2012-07, Groupe de REcherche en Droit, Économie, Gestion (GREDEG CNRS), University of Nice Sophia Antipolis, revised Apr 2013.
- Shahid Yusuf, 2012. "From Technological Catch-up to Innovation : The Future of China’s GDP Growth," World Bank Other Operational Studies 12781, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tatsuji Makino).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.