Judging Japan's FDI: The verdict from a dartboard model
AbstractWe evaluate Japan's inward and outward FDI performance using theoretical benchmarks based on the premise that management teams headquartered around the world bid for the production facilities located in each country. Our model incorporates the assumption that bids are inversely proportionate to distance. It accurately predicts the multilateral shares of FDI stocks for most important countries. The theory predicts lower shares of FDI for Japan than its share of the world economy. Japan's actual share of outward FDI exceeds its inward share -as the model predicts- but both currently lie below the benchmark predictions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University in its series Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series with number d04-58.
Date of creation: Dec 2004
Date of revision:
Foreign direct investment; gravity; mergers and acquisitions; openness;
Other versions of this item:
- Head, Keith & Ries, John, 2005. "Judging Japan's FDI: The verdict from a dartboard model," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 215-232, June.
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-02-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-IFN-2005-02-20 (International Finance)
- NEP-SEA-2005-02-20 (South East Asia)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nicolas Coeurdacier & Roberto A. De Santis & Antonin Aviat, 2009.
"Cross-border mergers and acquisitions and European integration,"
CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 24, pages 55-106, 01.
- Antonin Aviat & Roberto A. de Santis & Nicolas Coeurdacier, 2009. "Cross-border mergers and acquisitions and European integration," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/c8dmi8nm4pd, Sciences Po.
- Alexander Hijzen & Holger G�rg & Miriam Manchin, 2006.
"Cross-border mergers and acquisitions and the role of trade costs,"
European Economy - Economic Papers
242, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Hijzen, Alexander & Görg, Holger & Manchin, Miriam, 2008. "Cross-border mergers and acquisitions and the role of trade costs," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 52(5), pages 849-866, July.
- Ronald B. Davies & Delia Ionascu & Helga Kristjánsdóttir, 2007.
"Estimating the Impact of Time-Invariant Variables on FDI with Fixed Effects,"
The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series
- Ronald B. Davies & Delia Ionascu & Helga Kristjánsdóttir, 2008. "Estimating the Impact of Time-Invariant Variables on FDI with Fixed Effects," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 144(3), pages 381-407, October.
- Davies, Ronald B. & Ionascu, Delia & Kristjánsdóttir, Helga, 2007. "Estimating the Impact of Time-Invariant Variables on FDI with Fixed Effects," Working Papers 02-2007, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Economics.
- Ronald B. Davies & Delia Ionascu & Helga KristjÃ¡nsdÃ³ttir, 2007. "Estimating the Impact of Time-Invariant Variables on FDI with Fixed Effects," University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers 2007-8, University of Oregon Economics Department, revised 01 May 2007.
- Görg, Holger & Hijzen, Alexander & Manchin, Miriam, 2007. "Cross-Border Mergers & Acquisitions and the Role of Trade Costs," CEPR Discussion Papers 6397, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Walid Hejazi, 2005. "Are Regional Concentrations of OECD Exports and Outward FDI Consistent with Gravity?," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 33(4), pages 423-436, December.
- Head, Keith & Ries, John, 2008. "FDI as an outcome of the market for corporate control: Theory and evidence," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 2-20, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tatsuji Makino).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.