The Effect of College Quality on Earnings Evidence from Sweden
AbstractThis paper examines the effect of college quality on earnings using administrative data on Swedish college students. To consider possible heterogeneity, the effects for men and women are estimated separately and quantile regression is used to determine whether the effect of college quality differs over the income distribution. The overall results suggest that the link between college quality and earnings is weak in Sweden. A small positive effect is found for individuals that are likely to work full time as well as for individuals in the upper part of the income distribution, while negative effects are found for individuals located in the middle and lower parts of the income distribution. Furthermore, controlling for region of work affects the estimated effects, indicating a correlation between choice of college quality and choice of labor market region.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Umeå University, Department of Economics in its series Umeå Economic Studies with number 781.
Length: 44 pages
Date of creation: 02 Oct 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, Umeå University, S-901 87 Umeå, Sweden
Phone: 090 - 786 61 42
Fax: 090 - 77 23 02
Web page: http://www.econ.umu.se/
More information through EDIRC
College quality; Earnings; Selection on observables;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I21 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Analysis of Education
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-10-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-EDU-2009-10-10 (Education)
- NEP-LAB-2009-10-10 (Labour Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Suhonen, Tuomo, 2013. "Are there returns from university location in a state-funded university system?," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 465-478.
- Daghbashyan, Zara & Hårsman, Björn, 2012. "University choice and entrepreneurship," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 292, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Joniada Milla, 2012. "University Quality and Labour Market Outcomes of Canadian Youth," Working Papers 1212, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kjell-Göran Holmberg).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.