Cost-Benefit Analysis in a Framework of Stakeholder Involvement and Integrated Coastal Zone Modeling
AbstractActive involvement of local stakeholders is currently an increasingly important requirement in European environmental regulations such as the EU Water Framework Directive (WFD) and the EU Marine Strategy Framework Directive (MSFD). The same is true for economic analyses such as cost-benefit analysis (CBA). For example, the Swedish WFD implementation requires i) quantification of cost and benefits of proposed measures and ii) stakeholder involvement. How can these two requirements be integrated in practice? And can such requirements facilitate implementation of projects with a potential net benefit? This paper presents a stepwise CBA procedure with participatory elements and applies it for evaluating nutrient management options for reducing eutrophication effects in the coastal area of Himmerfjärden SW of Stockholm, Sweden. The CBA indicates a positive net benefit for a combination of options involving increased nitrogen removal at a major sewage treatment plant, creation of new wetlands and connecting a proportion of private sewers to sewage treatment plants. The procedure also illustrates how the interdisciplinary development of a coupled ecological-economic simulation model can be used as a tool for facilitating the involvement of stakeholders in a CBA.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CERE - the Center for Environmental and Resource Economics in its series CERE Working Papers with number 2012:1.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation: 04 Jan 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.cere.se
cost-benefit analysis; stakeholder involvement; integrated modeling; eutrophication;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D61 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Allocative Efficiency; Cost-Benefit Analysis
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-01-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENV-2012-01-18 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-RES-2012-01-18 (Resource Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John A. Downing, 2009.
"Valuing Water Quality as a Function of Water Quality Measures,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(1), pages 106-123.
- Egan, Kevin J. & Herriges, Joseph A. & Kling, Catherine L. & Downing, John A., 2004. "Valuing Water Quality As a Functionof Water Quality Measures," Staff General Research Papers 12210, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Östberg, Katarina & Håkansson, Cecilia & Hasselström, Linus & Bostedt, Göran, 2011. "Benefit Transfer for Environmental Improvements in Coastal Areas: General vs. Specific Models," CERE Working Papers 2011:2, CERE - the Center for Environmental and Resource Economics.
- Östberg, Katarina & Hasselström, Linus & Håkansson, Cecilia, 2010. "Non-market valuation of the coastal environment - uniting political aims, ecological and economic knowledge," CERE Working Papers 2010:10, CERE - the Center for Environmental and Resource Economics.
- Grimble, Robin & Wellard, Kate, 1997. "Stakeholder methodologies in natural resource management: a review of principles, contexts, experiences and opportunities," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 173-193, October.
- Human, Brett A. & Davies, Amanda, 2010. "Stakeholder consultation during the planning phase of scientific programs," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 645-654, May.
- Glenn Jenkins, 1999.
"Evaluation of Stakeholder Impacts in Cost-Benefit Analysis,"
Development Discussion Papers
1999-10, JDI Executive Programs.
- Jenkins, G.P., 1998. "Evaluation of Stakeholder Impacts in Cost-Benefit Analysis," Papers 631, Harvard - Institute for International Development.
- Håkansson, Cecilia & Östberg, Katarina & Bostedt, Göran, 2012. "Estimating Distributional Effects of Environmental Policy in Swedish Coastal Environments – A Walk along different Socio-economic Dimensions," CERE Working Papers 2012:18, CERE - the Center for Environmental and Resource Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Göran Bostedt).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.