The Exit of Pharmacia and Regional Growth
AbstractIn this paper we ask whether the withdrawal of a major employer (Pharmacia) from a region in Sweden (Uppsala) has had a negative effect on employment growth. We explore the possibility that the exit of Pharmacia may not have had a negative effect on the total employment in the region. It might be the case that new innovative resources with economic potential have been released due to the withdrawal leading to new firm formation and expansion of existing firms. We find no evidence that the withdrawal has led to a negative effect on employment growth in the region.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Ratio Institute in its series Ratio Working Papers with number 22.
Length: 18 pages
Date of creation: 29 Apr 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Ratio Institute, P.O. Box 5095, SE-102 42 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: 08-441 59 00
Fax: 08-441 59 29
Web page: http://www.ratio.se/
More information through EDIRC
exit; regional growths; start-ups; entry;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-05-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2003-05-08 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-ENT-2003-05-08 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-GEO-2003-05-08 (Economic Geography)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Almus, Matthias & Nerlinger, Eric A, 1999. " Growth of New Technology-Based Firms: Which Factors Matter?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 141-54, September.
- Acs, Zoltan J & Audretsch, David B, 1988. "Innovation in Large and Small Firms: An Empirical Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(4), pages 678-90, September.
- M Gray & E Parker, 1998. "Industrial change and regional development: the case of the US biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 30(10), pages 1757-1774, October.
- Heshmati, Almas, 2000. "On the Growth of Micro and Small Firms," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 396, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Dan Johansson, 2005. "The Turnover of Firms and Industry Growth," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 24(5), pages 487-495, 06.
- Acs, Zoltan J. & Audretsch, David B., 1987. "Innovation in large and small firms," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 109-112.
- Bronwyn H. Hall, 1988.
"The Relationship Between Firm Size and Firm Growth in the U.S. Manufacturing Sector,"
NBER Working Papers
1965, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hall, Bronwyn H, 1987. "The Relationship between Firm Size and Firm Growth in the U.S. Manufacturing Sector," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 583-606, June.
- Evans, David S, 1987.
"Tests of Alternative Theories of Firm Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(4), pages 657-74, August.
- Eliasson, Gunnar, 1988. "The Firm as a Competent Team," Working Paper Series 207, Research Institute of Industrial Economics, revised Feb 1990.
- Boozer, Michael A., 1997. "Econometric Analysis of Panel Data Badi H. Baltagi Wiley, 1995," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(05), pages 747-754, October.
- Catherine Armington & Zoltan Acs, 2002. "The Determinants of Regional Variation in New Firm Formation," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 36(1), pages 33-45.
- Acs, Zoltan J & Audretsch, David B, 1987. "Innovation, Market Structure, and Firm Size," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(4), pages 567-74, November.
- Eliasson, Gunnar, 1990. "The firm as a competent team," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 275-298, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martin Korpi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.