Firm migration in the Swedish wholesale trade sector
AbstractThis paper analyzes the determinants of firm migration in the Swedish wholesale trade sector using a unique dataset covering over 10,000 Swedish wholesale trade firms during the years 2000 – 2004. The results indicate that there are negative correlations between profits, firm age, and firm size and the probability of firm migration. Also, there is a positive correlation between firm growth in the previous year and firm migration, indicating that growth opportunities that can not be realized at the present location is an important motive for migration.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HUI Research in its series HUI Working Papers with number 52.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: 01 Jul 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: HUI Research, Regeringsgatan 60, 103 29 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46 (0)8 762 72 80
Fax: +46 (0)8 679 76 06
Web page: http://www.hui.se/
More information through EDIRC
Firm re-location; firm entry; firm demography; hierarchical random effects; logistic regression model;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
- L81 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Retail and Wholesale Trade; e-Commerce
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- R30 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Spatial Production Analysis, and Firm Location - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-07-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2011-07-27 (Business Economics)
- NEP-ENT-2011-07-27 (Entrepreneurship)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daunfeldt, Sven-Olov & Rudholm, Niklas & Bergström, Fredrik, 2005.
"Entry into Swedish Retail and Wholesale Trade Markets,"
HUI Working Papers
2, HUI Research.
- Sven-olov Daunfeldt & Niklas Rudholm & Fredrik Bergström, 2006. "Entry into Swedish Retail and Wholesale Trade Markets," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 213-225, November.
- Daunfeldt , Sven-Olov & Rudholm, Niklas & Bergström, Fredrik, 2002. "Entry into Swedish Retail- and Wholesale Trade Markets," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 599, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- van Dijk, Jouke & Pellenbarg, Piet H., 1999.
"Firm relocation decisions in The Netherlands: an ordered logit approach,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa99pa418, European Regional Science Association.
- Jouke van Dijk & Piet H. Pellenbarg, 2000. "Firm relocation decisions in The Netherlands: An ordered logit approach," Papers in Regional Science, Springer, vol. 79(2), pages 191-219.
- Sven-Olov Daunfeldt & Matilda Orth & Niklas Rudholm, 2010. "Opening Local Retail Food Stores: A Real-Options Approach," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 373-387, September.
- Daunfeldt, Sven-Olov & Lang, Åsa & Macuchova, Zuzana & Rudholm, Niklas, 2011. "Firm Growth in the Retail and Wholesale Trade Sectors – Evidence from Sweden," HUI Working Papers 50, HUI Research.
- Aleid E. Brouwer & Ilaria Mariotti & Jos N. van Ommeren, 2004.
"The firm relocation decision: An empirical investigation,"
The Annals of Regional Science,
Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 335-347, 06.
- Brouwer, A.E. & Mariotti, I. & Ommeren, J.N. van, 2003. "The firm relocation decision: an empirical investigation," Serie Research Memoranda 0023, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Romer, Paul M, 1990.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages S71-102, October.
- Berglund, Elisabet & Brännäs, Kurt, 1999.
"Plants' Entry and Exit in Swedish Municipalities,"
UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies
497, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Nakosteen, Robert A & Zimmer, Michael A, 1987. "Determinants of Regional Migration by Manufacturing Firms," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 25(2), pages 351-62, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Nilsson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.