Locations and Relocations:Modelling, Determinants, and Interrelations
AbstractEmpirical studies on industrial location do not typically distinguish between new and relocated establishments. This paper addresses this shortcoming using data on the frequency of these events in municipalities of the same economic-administrative region. This enables us to test not only for differences in their determinants but also for interrelations between start-ups and relocations. Estimates from count regression models for cross-section and panel data show that, although partial effects differ, common patterns arise in â€œinstitutionalâ€ and â€œneoclassicalâ€ explanatory factors. Also, start-ups and relocations are positive but asymmetrically related. JEL classification: C25, R30, R10. Keywords: cities, count data models, industrial location
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2072/5316.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Localització industrial; Ciutats; Models economètrics; 332 - Economia regional i territorial. Economia del sòl i de la vivenda;
Other versions of this item:
- Miguel C. Manjon-Antolin & Josep Maria Arauzo-Carod, 2006. "Locations and Relocations: Modelling, Determinants, and Interrelations," ERSA conference papers ersa06p33, European Regional Science Association.
- C25 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
- R30 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Spatial Production Analysis, and Firm Location - - - General
- R10 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruce Blonigen, 2005.
"A Review of the Empirical Literature on FDI Determinants,"
Atlantic Economic Journal,
International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 33(4), pages 383-403, December.
- Bruce A. Blonigen, 2005. "A Review of the Empirical Literature on FDI Determinants," NBER Working Papers 11299, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Josep Maria Arauzo Carod, 2005.
"Determinants of industrial location: An application for Catalan municipalities,"
Papers in Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 84(1), pages 105-120, 03.
- Josep Maria Arauzo Carod, . "Determinants of industrial location. An application for Catalan municipalities," Studies on the Spanish Economy 138, FEDEA.
- Paulo Guimaraes & Octávio Figueiredo & Douglas Woodward, 2004. "Industrial Location Modeling: Extending the Random Utility Framework," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(1), pages 1-20.
- Paulo Guimaraes & Octavio Figueiredo & Douglas Woodward, 2000.
"A tractable approach to the firm location decision problem,"
NIMA Working Papers
2, Núcleo de Investigação em Microeconomia Aplicada (NIMA), Universidade do Minho.
- Paulo Guimar�es & Octávio Figueirdo & Douglas Woodward, 2003. "A Tractable Approach to the Firm Location Decision Problem," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(1), pages 201-204, February.
- Adelheid Holl, 2004.
"Start-ups and relocations: Manufacturing plant location in Portugal,"
Economics of Governance,
Springer, vol. 83(4), pages 649-668, October.
- Adelheid Holl, 2004. "Start-ups and relocations: Manufacturing plant location in Portugal," Papers in Regional Science, Springer, vol. 83(4), pages 649-668, October.
- Yoonsoo Lee, 2004.
"Geographic redistribution of U.S. manufacturing and the role of state development policy,"
0415, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Lee, Yoonsoo, 2008. "Geographic redistribution of US manufacturing and the role of state development policy," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 436-450, September.
- Aleid E. Brouwer & Ilaria Mariotti & Jos N. van Ommeren, 2004.
"The firm relocation decision: An empirical investigation,"
The Annals of Regional Science,
Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 335-347, 06.
- Brouwer, A.E. & Mariotti, I. & Ommeren, J.N. van, 2003. "The firm relocation decision: an empirical investigation," Serie Research Memoranda 0023, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Yoonsoo Lee, 2006. "Relocation patterns in U.S. manufacturing," Working Paper 0624, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Josep Maria Arauzo Carod & Miguel C. ManjÛn AntolÌn, 2004.
"Firm Size and Geographical Aggregation: An Empirical Appraisal in Industrial Location,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 22(3_4), pages 299-312, 04.
- Arauzo Carod, Josep Maria & Manjón Antolín, Miguel C., 2001. "Firm Size and Geographical Aggregation: An Empirical Appraisal in Industrial Location," Working Papers 2072/1772, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Randy Becker & Vernon Henderson, 2000. "Effects of Air Quality Regulations on Polluting Industries," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(2), pages 379-421, April.
- Strauss-Kahn, Vanessa & Vives, Xavier, 2005.
"Why and Where do Headquarters Move?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5070, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Figueiredo, Octavio & Guimaraes, Paulo & Woodward, Douglas, 2002. "Home-field advantage: location decisions of Portuguese entrepreneurs," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 341-361, September.
- Adelheid Holl, 2004. "Transport Infrastructure, Agglomeration Economies, and Firm Birth: Empirical Evidence from Portugal," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(4), pages 693-712.
- Khalid Sekkat & Didier Baudewyns & Mohammed Ben Ayad, 2000. "Infrastructure publique et localisation des entreprises à Bruxelles et en Wallonie," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/7434, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Jerry A. Hausman & Bronwyn H. Hall & Zvi Griliches, 1984.
"Econometric Models for Count Data with an Application to the Patents-R&D Relationship,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0017, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hausman, Jerry & Hall, Bronwyn H & Griliches, Zvi, 1984. "Econometric Models for Count Data with an Application to the Patents-R&D Relationship," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(4), pages 909-38, July.
- Pellenbarg, P.H. & Wissen, L.J.G. van & Dijk, J. van, 2002. "Firm relocation: state of the art and research prospects," Research Report 02D31, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Holl, Adelheid, 2004. "Manufacturing location and impacts of road transport infrastructure: empirical evidence from Spain," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 341-363, May.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1988. "Chi-Square Diagnostic Tests for Econometric Models: Theory," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(6), pages 1419-53, November.
- Mullahy, John, 1997. "Heterogeneity, Excess Zeros, and the Structure of Count Data Models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(3), pages 337-50, May-June.
- Sin, Chor-Yiu & White, Halbert, 1996. "Information criteria for selecting possibly misspecified parametric models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1-2), pages 207-225.
- Guimaraes, Paulo & Figueiredo, Octavio & Woodward, Douglas, 2000. "Agglomeration and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment in Portugal," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 115-135, January.
- John A. List & W. Warren McHone, 2000. "Measuring the effects of air quality regulations on "dirty" firm births: Evidence from the neo- and mature-regulatory periods," Papers in Regional Science, Springer, vol. 79(2), pages 177-190.
- Erickson, Rodney A. & Wasylenko, Michael, 1980. "Firm relocation and site selection in suburban municipalities," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 69-85, July.
- Liviano Solís, Daniel & Arauzo Carod, Josep Maria, 2011. "Industrial Location and Space: New Insights," Working Papers 2072/152137, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ariadna Casals).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.