The Impact of a Cash Benefit Reform on Parents’ Labour Force Participation
AbstractThis paper evaluates the impact of a recent Norwegian family policy reform. The reform provides benefits of up to NOK 3000 per month to all families with 1-3 year old children, who do not utilise state subsidised day care centres. We investigate the reform’s effect on parents’ labour force participation. Our findings suggest that, on average, women’s labour force participation decreases and specialisation of work between couples increases after the reform. When we evaluate the reform’s impact in association with women’s schooling we find that the decrease in the labour force participation of mothers who have university level schooling is larger as compared with mothers who have less than university schooling.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Bergen, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers in Economics with number 12/02.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: 30 Apr 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Institutt for økonomi, Universitetet i Bergen, Postboks 7802, 5020 Bergen, Norway
Web page: http://www.uib.no/econ/en
More information through EDIRC
Public policy; Cash benefits; Specialisation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I38 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Government Programs; Provision and Effects of Welfare Programs
- J16 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of Gender; Non-labor Discrimination
- J22 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Time Allocation and Labor Supply
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- ûivind Anti Nilsen & Alf Erling Risa & Alf Torstensen, 2000.
"Transitions from employment among young Norwegian workers,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 21-34.
- Nilsen, O.A. & Risa, A.E. & Torstensen, A., 2000. "Transitions from Employment among Young Norwegian Workers," Norway; Department of Economics, University of Bergen 210, Department of Economics, University of Bergen.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kjell Erik Lommerud).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.