Retirement intentions of older migrant workers: Does health matter?
AbstractThis paper investigates the effect of self-assessed health on retirement plans of older migrants. As immigration is primarily associated with labor considerations, the role of economic incentives in the migration decision suggests that health could play a minor effect in immigrants' decision to retire. Using detailed data on immigrants living in France collected in 2003, we examine the role of health on early retirement intentions using simultaneous, recursive models that account for the fact that subjective health is potentially endogenous. Being in poor health increases the intention of migrant workers to retire early, but the subjective health outcomes have little influence on retirement plans.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Working Papers with number hal-00671527.
Date of creation: 17 Feb 2012
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00671527
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Retirement intention ; self-assessed health ; immigrants ; France;
Other versions of this item:
- Nicolas Gérard Vaillant & François-Charles Wolff, 2012. "Retirement intentions of older migrant workers: does health matter?," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 33(4), pages 441-460, March.
- NEP-AGE-2012-03-08 (Economics of Ageing)
- NEP-ALL-2012-03-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEM-2012-03-08 (Demographic Economics)
- NEP-EUR-2012-03-08 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-HEA-2012-03-08 (Health Economics)
- NEP-LAB-2012-03-08 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-LMA-2012-03-08 (Labor Markets - Supply, Demand, & Wages)
- NEP-MIG-2012-03-08 (Economics of Human Migration)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.