Capital inflows and exchange rate in LDCs: The Dutch disease problem revisited
AbstractIn this paper, the link between capital inflows and real exchange rate movements in LDCs is revisited theoretically and empirically. On the theoretical side we present a simple model to show that the real exchange rate depends mainly on "real fundamentals" such as terms of trade or productivity differentials. Empirically, we take into account the heterogeneity of the sample, the dynamics of the RER and the non stationary nature of the data. Capital inflows can be oil revenues, foreign aid, remittances or FDI. We show that real fundamentals are the main driving forces of real exchange rate movements in LDCs and not capital inflows. The Balassa-Samuelson effect by itself accounts for 57% of the RER variations while capital inflows account only for 19% of RER variations. The Dutch Disease theory is not rejected but its effect on RER movements in LDCs is weak.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series PSE Working Papers with number halshs-00574955.
Date of creation: Apr 2010
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00574955
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Dutch disease ; capital inflows ; real exchange rate ; dynamic and heterogeneous panel;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rajan, Raghuram G. & Subramanian, Arvind, 2011.
"Aid, Dutch disease, and manufacturing growth,"
Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 94(1), pages 106-118, January.
- Im, Kyung So & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2003.
"Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 53-74, July.
- Tom Doan, . "IPSHIN: RATS procedure to implement Im, Pesaran and Shin panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00098, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge 9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Elbadawi, Ibrahim A. & Soto, Raimundo, 1994. "Capital flows and long-term equilibrium real exchange rates in Chile," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1306, The World Bank.
- Haroon Mumtaz & Jean Imbs & Morten O. Ravn & Helene Rey, 2003. "PPP Strikes Back," IMF Working Papers 03/68, International Monetary Fund.
- Christopoulos, Dimitris K. & Gente, Karine & León-Ledesma, Miguel A., 2012.
"Net foreign assets, productivity and real exchange rates in constrained economies,"
European Economic Review, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 295-316.
- Dimitris K. Christopoulos & Karine Gente & Miguel A. Leon-Ledesma, 2010. "Net Foreign Assets, Productivity and Real Exchange Rates in Constrained Economies," Studies in Economics, Department of Economics, University of Kent 1011, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Dimitris K. Christopoulos & Karine Gente & Miguel A. Leon-Ledesma, 2008. "Net Foreign Assets, Productivity and Real Exchange Rates in Constrained Economies," Discussion Papers, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales 2008-17, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Bazoumana Ouattara & Eric Strobl, 2008. "Foreign Aid Inflows And The Real Exchange Rate In The Cfa Franc Zone," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, CEPII research center, issue 116, pages 37-52.
- Jeffrey B. Nugent & Makoto Yano, 1999.
"Aid, Nontraded Goods, and the Transfer Paradox in Small Countries,"
American Economic Review, American Economic Association,
American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 431-449, June.
- Yano, M. & Nugent, J.B. & Lay, R.N., 1995. "Aid, Non-Traded Goods and the Transfer Paradox in Small Countries," Papers, Southern California - Department of Economics 9515, Southern California - Department of Economics.
- Emmanuel K. K. Lartey, 2007. "Capital inflows and the real exchange rate: An empirical study of sub-Saharan Africa," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(3), pages 337-357.
- Joannes Mongardini & Brett Rayner, 2009. "Grants, Remittances, and the Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate in Sub-Saharan African Countries," IMF Working Papers 09/75, International Monetary Fund.
- Granger, C. W. J. & Newbold, P., 1974. "Spurious regressions in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 111-120, July.
- Love, Inessa & Zicchino, Lea, 2006. "Financial development and dynamic investment behavior: Evidence from panel VAR," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 190-210, May.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Hubert Gabrisch & Karsten Staehr, 2012.
"The Euro Plus Pact: Competitiveness and external capital flows in the EU countries,"
Bank of Estonia Working Papers, Bank of Estonia
wp2012-5, Bank of Estonia, revised 10 Dec 2012.
- Hubert Gabrisch & Karsten Staehr, 2012. "The Euro Plus Pact: Competitiveness and External Capital Flows in the EU Countries," Working Papers, Institut fÃ¼r Ost- und SÃ¼dosteuropaforschung (Institute for East and South-East European Studies) 324, Institut für Ost- und Südosteuropaforschung (Institute for East and South-East European Studies).
- Gabrisch, Hubert & Staehr, Karsten, 2014. "The euro plus pact: cost competitiveness and external capital flows in the EU countries," Working Paper Series, European Central Bank 1650, European Central Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.