Foreign Aid Inflows And The Real Exchange Rate In The Cfa Franc Zone
AbstractThis paper presents an empirical analysis of the relationship between foreign aid inflows and the real exchange rate in the countries of the CFA Franc zone. Using panel data analysis we find that foreign aid inflows are associated with the appreciation of the real exchange rate in the CFA countries between 1980 and 2000. However, our results also suggest that the potential "Dutch Disease" effects associated with these inflows could be offset if appropriate policies are implemented.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by CEPII research center in its journal Economie Internationale.
Volume (Year): (2008)
Issue (Month): 116 ()
Aid; Panel Data; Real Exchange Rates;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- F35 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Aid
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Francis M. Kemegue & ReneÃ© van Eyden & Emmanuel Owusu-Sekyere, 2011.
"Remittances and the Dutch disease in Sub-Saharan Africa. A Dynamic Panel Approach,"
259, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Emmanuel Owusu-Sekyere & Renee van Eyden & Francis Kemegue, 2011. "Remittances And The Dutch Disease In Sub-Saharan Africa: A Dynamic Panel Approach," Working Papers 201129, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- Farid MAKHLOUF & Mazhar MUGHAL, 2011.
"Remittances, Dutch Disease, and Competitiveness - A Bayesian Analysis,"
2011-2012_1, CATT - UPPA - Université de Pau et des Pays de l'Adour, revised Dec 2011.
- Farid Makhlouf & Mazhar Mughal, 2013. "Remittances, Dutch Disease, And Competitiveness: A Bayesian Analysis," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 38(2), pages 67-97, June.
- David Fielding & Fred Gibson, 2011.
"Aid and Dutch Disease in Sub-Saharan Africa,"
1108, University of Otago, Department of Economics, revised Aug 2011.
- Blaise Gnimassoun, 2012. "Taux de change et mésalignements du franc CFA avant et après l’introduction de l’euro," EconomiX Working Papers 2012-3, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00574955 is not listed on IDEAS
- Li, Ying & Rowe, Francis, 2007. "Aid inflows and the real effective exchange rate in Tanzania," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4456, The World Bank.
- Mouhamadou Sy & Hamidreza Tabarraei, 2010. "Capital inflows and exchange rate in LDCs: The Dutch disease problem revisited," PSE Working Papers halshs-00574955, HAL.
- Nébié, Gustave Adrien, 2008. "Syndrome Hollandais causé par l’aide : qu’en est-il pour les pays de l’UEMOA ?," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/4066, Paris Dauphine University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.