Russian and Caspian hydrocarbons: energy supply stakes for the European Union
AbstractThe crisis between Russia and Georgia in August 2008 highlights the fragility and instability of transporting gas from the Caspian and Central Asia to Europe via the "Caucasus transit corridor". The feasibility of one of the EU's possible strategies for diversifying its energy supplies might now be called into question. The aim of this article is to examine the new strategies that could emerge in the producing countries as well as those of international oil companies, and then look at what the consequences might be as far as the EU's diversification strategy is concerned.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Post-Print with number halshs-00347523.
Date of creation: Dec 2008
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00347523/en/
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
ENERGY SUPPLY ; HYDROCARBONS ; DIVERSIFICATION STRATEGY ; EUROPEAN UNION ; CASPIAN ; RUSSIA ; INTERNATIONAL MARKET;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-01-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-CIS-2009-01-03 (Confederation of Independent States)
- NEP-EEC-2009-01-03 (European Economics)
- NEP-ENE-2009-01-03 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-TRA-2009-01-03 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Catherine Locatelli, 2008. "Gazprom's export strategies under the institutional constraint of the Russian gas market," Post-Print halshs-00341660, HAL.
- Andris Piebalgs, 2006. "Green paper: A European strategy for sustainable, competitive and secure energy," CESifo Forum, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 7(2), pages 8-20, 07.
- Catherine Locatelli, 2008. "Gazprom's export strategies under the institutional constraint of the Russian gas market," OPEC Energy Review, Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, vol. 32(3), pages 246-264, 09.
- Jacques Percebois, 2008. "The supply of natural gas in the European Union-strategic issues," OPEC Energy Review, Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, vol. 32(1), pages 33-53, 03.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.