Adapting PILOTE model for water and yield management under direct seeding system: The case of corn and durum wheat in a Mediterranean context
AbstractCrop models are useful tools for integrating knowledge of biophysical processes governing the plant-soil-atmosphere system. But few of them are easily usable for water and yield management especially under specific cropping systems such as direct seeding. Direct seeding into mulch (DSM) is an alternative for conventional tillage (CT). DSM modifies soil properties and creates a different microclimate from CT. So that, we should consequently consider these new conditions to develop or to adapt models. The aim of this study was to calibrate and validate the PILOTE [Mailhol, J.C., Olufayo, A.A., Ruelle, P., 1997. Sorghum and sunflower evapotranspiration and yield from simulated leaf area index. Agric. Water Manag. 35, 167-182; Mailhol, J.C., Zaïri A., Slatni A., Ben Nouma, B., El Amami, H., 2004. Analysis of irrigation systems and irrigation strategies for durum wheat in Tunisia. Agric. Water Manag. 70, 19-37], an operative crop model based on the leaf area index (LAI) simulation, for corn and durum wheat in both DSM and CT systems in Mediterranean climate. In DSM case, simple model modifications were proposed. This modified PILOTE version accounts for mulch and its impact on soil evaporation. In addition root progression was modified to account for lower soil temperatures in DSM for winter crops. PILOTE was calibrated and validated against field data collected from a 7-year trial at the experimental station of Lavalette (SE of France). Results indicated that PILOTE satisfactorily simulates LAI, soil water reserve (SWR), grain yield, and dry matter yield in both systems. The minimum coefficient of efficiency for SWR was 0.90. This new version of PILOTE can thus be used to manage water and yield under CT and DSM systems in Mediterranean climate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Post-Print with number hal-00454543.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published, Agricultural Water Management, 2009, 96, 5, p. 757 - p. 770
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00454543
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
GESTION DE L'EAU; MODELISATION; PRODUCTION VEGETALE; SEMIS DIRECT; MAIS; BLE; CROP MODEL; SOIL WATER BALANCE; DIRECT SEEDING; CONVENTIONAL TILLAGE;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mailhol, Jean Claude & Olufayo, Ayorinde A. & Ruelle, Pierre, 1997. "Sorghum and sunflower evapotranspiration and yield from simulated leaf area index," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 35(1-2), pages 167-182, December.
- Ruelle, Pierre & Mailhol, Jean-Claude & Quinones, Hector & Granier, Jacques, 2003. "Using NIWASAVE to simulate impacts of irrigation heterogeneity on yield and nitrate leaching when using a travelling rain gun system in a shallow soil context in Charente (France)," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 15-35, November.
- Mailhol, J. C. & Zairi, A. & Slatni, A. & Ben Nouma, B. & El Amani, H., 2004. "Analysis of irrigation systems and irrigation strategies for durum wheat in Tunisia," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 19-37, October.
- Mubarak, Ibrahim & Mailhol, Jean Claude & Angulo-Jaramillo, Rafael & Bouarfa, Sami & Ruelle, Pierre, 2009. "Effect of temporal variability in soil hydraulic properties on simulated water transfer under high-frequency drip irrigation," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 96(11), pages 1547-1559, November.
- Popova, Zornitsa & Pereira, Luis S., 2011. "Modelling for maize irrigation scheduling using long term experimental data from Plovdiv region, Bulgaria," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 98(4), pages 675-683, February.
- Liu, S. & Yang, J.Y. & Zhang, X.Y. & Drury, C.F. & Reynolds, W.D. & Hoogenboom, G., 2013. "Modelling crop yield, soil water content and soil temperature for a soybean–maize rotation under conventional and conservation tillage systems in Northeast China," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 123(C), pages 32-44.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.